Electro-Engineering Company Data

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Nov 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying to find a cut sheet for an EE E9561B, 65H, 0.5A modulation reactor. I can finding nothing on the web about the company. Specs to check it against is what I am looking for.

Philip

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I have that reactor. I have an E.E.W. 65H reactor out of a 1kw rig, a Sparta 701. Similar to Bauer. What do you want to know about it?

3. KA4KOE

DC resistance of the coil. I have he exact same one.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Each coil on mine measures 110 or 111 ohms with a Fluke 115. But if I measure across the two lugs I get open circuit. Maybe mine is blown open. the power supply filter choke of the same construction (two coils on an O core) measures 7 or 8 ohms between the lugs. The coils on my reactor seem to measure okay individually but I have infinite dc resistance between the h.v. lugs, one on each coil.

5. KA4KOE

Two coils in series for the reactor? I'm starting this weekend.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

my reactor appears to be busted. Once I got my head on right, I started investigating. The Sparta reactor was made by Quality Transformer in San Jose. https://qte.com/pages/inductors-reactors.html
    Note the strap lead on the bottom of the coils in the web site photo which appears to connect them (light goes on). I looked at my 10H 700 ma p.s. filter choke of same design. It has that lead between the two coils. I looked at my mod. reactor. No connection between the coils. I put a clip lead between the tabs on top and measured the dc resistance again across the front lugs and got 210 ohms as I expected. Somewhere along the way with mine the line between the two coils must have gotten busted off and I never noticed until now. Glad you brought this up.

7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

So you could increase the inductance or the current ability?

8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

With two coils on the same core paralleled instead of series, you'd double the current rating but the total inductance would be uselessly low, at least for mod. reactor purposes. I also would have concerns about the two coils side by side on the same core having some sort of undesirable interaction. I'm nowhere near being a choke or transformer expert so I can't advise, but I'd try to check it out before trying it. However as far as this particular choke is concerned, the only way to get over the needed inductance would be to have the coils in series.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Paralleled sections should work, but the total inductance would be 1/4 that of the two sections wired in series. It goes without saying that the two sections must be phased properly regardless of connection. Paralleled sections would have the same inductance as each one of the sections, but current rating is doubled. This assumes that the turns count on each section is identical to the other. If they are unequal, current will flow between them, acting like a shorted turn.