electrical disturbance

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CHARLIE86, Dec 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. CHARLIE86

CHARLIE86 QRZ Member

Hi,

When I transmit with 100w from icom ic7300 to endfed antenna I get electrical disturbance.
    Playstation 4 is 2m from IC7300 and its touch buttons press by itself (it powers up by itself and CD injects)
    Second device with problems is my printer with touch screen. It also”press” buttons by itself when I press PTT on IC 7300.

How can I solve this?
    Swr is under 2 and I also use internal antenna tuner.

2. K0OKS

K0OKS Ham Member QRZ Page

End fed antennas are more prone to these issues than dipoles. Try to get the antenna as far away from the house as possible.

Once you do that you may need some ferrite torroids to put on the power cables or other cables (Ethernet) on the devices. You want multiple turns of the cable through the same torroid. 2 turns is the equivalent of 4 clamp on ferrites. 3 turns is 9, 4 is 16, etc. it is the square of the number of turns. For low bands like 40-160m you may need as many as 7-30 turns! So you can see why you want the larger torroids you can get many turns through, rather than the clamp ons.

KE8FWJ likes this.
  3. KE8FWJ

KE8FWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Have found using an "ugly balun" at the feedpoint of the EFHW sufficient to curb any further stray RFI. EFHW with feedpoint inside window and TH-480HX on window sill. A merely 5 ft separation.

Easy to put an "ugly balun" together. Consisted of 13.5m RG-213 wound neatly on 6" PVC. Windings of coax mustn't criss cross. Had no issues between 80m - 10m. Didn't have the chance to erect my 160m EFHW, the cemetery just wasn't big enough ;)

Have fun :)

WW1WW likes this.
  4. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

What's your callsign Charlie

Rege

5. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "For low bands like 40-160m you may need as many as 7-30 turns!"

Wow ... I see now the advantage I have with the balanced feed on my 160 meter tuned vertical loop located in my backyard only 20ft from the house; no ferrite toroids needed even when running 1KW ...

K0OKS and WR2E like this.
  6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) and possibly ElectroMagnetic Interference (EMI) caused by your radio/antenna system.
    This may also extend to neighbors ... Who may not be understanding.

END-FED Antennas : Prone to Common-Mode Interference
    IF you could SEE Radio Frequencies (RF) —- You would see RF Leakage (Like a Leaky Water Hose)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-mode_interference

READ, RE-READ and MEMORIZE this Practical Guide

A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
    Revision 6 : 5 Dec 2016
    by Jim Brown, K9YC
    http://k9yc.com
    http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

The basis of this tutorial is a combination of my engineering education, 60 years in ham radio, my work as vice-chair of the Audio Engineering Society (AES) Standards Committee working group on Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC), and extensive research on RFI in the pro audio world where I’ve made my living.
    That work is documented in technical papers and tutorials that can be downloaded from the publications section of my website.

Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) is the branch of electrical engineering concerned with the unintentional generation, propagation and reception of electromagnetic energy which may cause unwanted effects such as electromagnetic interference (EMI) or even physical damage in operational equipment. The goal of EMC is the correct operation of different equipment in a common electromagnetic environment.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_compatibility

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    KD2ACO likes this.