Electric Radio Magazine

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by AC0OB, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check out the upcoming October Issue.

Some guy did an upgrade and mods on an Allied Knight T-60. o_O

Phil

2. AC0OB

I would submit an article no matter how general or in-depth.

Phil

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When did you work for Collins? I suspect it was well after they stopped making the 75A-4, and probably after or close to the end of the S-line era.

From what I recall, the price of Collins ham gear was kept "low" until about 1970 - then it took off. The KWM-380 was marketed as "ham gear" because there was a provision that Collins would sell amateur radio gear even after Art sold the company.

Most hams could only afford Collins by years of saving and trading up.

In 1962, an Eico 720/730 was practically new - that rig came out in 1958/59. I don't know what model Lafayette receiver you had, but it was probably no more than a few years old at most.

IOW, they weren't "vintage" in 1962!

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. AC0OB

I never said the EICO's or the receiver were vintage in that time frame.

Using and building those kits back then made me appreciate vintage communications gear.

Phil

N2EY likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I cant picture ANY amount of AM resurgence even coming close to the hetrodyne wars I listened to long before others on here became hams and instant experts. Ham SWLing on AM in 53-55 on a big old Zenith, ham ticket in 55 to today. The 3 IF stage HQ-129X I used starting in 56 was far better than most radios of the time and the included crystal filter with a deep notch control plus a Heath QF-1 Q Multiplier made it mostly tolerable and then a BC-453 wired in as a second conversion with the IF slugs in the widest position made it almost as good as a 75A4:eek: I still use that combination on another 129X but for real battle conditions without Collins phase distortion I'll still take a HRO-60.....on any band.

Carl

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

True. Sorry if my point wasn't clear. What I was trying to say is that the Eico and Lafayette units you used were current production at the time. Like using an Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood today.

Or building an Elecraft.

Was the Lafayette a kit? I know they sold some kits.

The Eico 720 was one of the best "Novice" rigs of its time, IMHO. It was expensive, though ($79.95 in 1959 - that's $669 in today's money!

As a Novice I could not hope to afford "current" gear, so I had a mixture of homebrew, used, and WW2 surplus. The surplus stuff really spoiled me because it was so well built, and relatively inexpensive.

73 de Jim, N2EY

AC0OB likes this.
  7. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Automatic frequency control?
    Is that guy a ham?

9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know. Don't know again. Looks like a nice receiver. I like my 180A with all its flaws. The 180A is a dern good battle conditions receiver.

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

He certainly doesnt know how to operate it