Electric Radio Magazine

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by AC0OB, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually don't like to write posts stating a gripe.

However, I have noticed that a certain author or authors seem to dominate ER content. I have had articles submitted that were in the queue for nine months, but yet this one author has an article in each issue.

So, here is a recommendation I made to editor Ray Osterwald: "Let's spread out the articles among the readership and not let one author dominate ER. In fact, I would suggest deleting the "Regular Contributor's" list. "

The last sentence would suggest that this is not a contest to see how many articles one can write in a year.

I write because of the technology involved, I.E., I don't want to see this technology lost and because newbies are becoming more interested in AM, home brewing, and boat anchors in general. I want to share work I have done so other's can benefit, as do many members here.

Since QST and other publications are more interested in radios with the greatest number of Menu Items one can program in to a plastic radio, ER is about the only publication I care to write for.

But something has to change at ER.

Just my Opinion.

Phil

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    AF6LJ likes this.
  2. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree.
    I have been disappointed in the articles for the last 2 years and only renewed my subscription this last time after much thought. I decided to support them for another year as they are the only magazine with this subject content left. Unfortunately, with the exception of a very few articles, this has been the worst year yet and I doubt if I will renew again.

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a new subscriber and have only received 3 issues up to now. So far I'm happy with the magazine but hopefully if the content is being dominated by a few authors those in charge will allow for either more content or follow up with an explanation. Only hearing one side here. But I do appreciate their effort and the subject matter.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Part of the reason is that Ray has trouble getting authors to contribute!
    Gary K6GLH has tried very hard in keeping the interest alive too, so hat goes off to him.
    We should all submit articles for Ray to consider. Let's be the change we want.

AF6LJ and W7UUU like this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Never heard of that magazine...

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Once St. George is on the air I'll write up a feature for ER.

If they are still around!

73DG

AC0OB and AF6LJ like this.
  7. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great magazine for vintage/classic radio. A lot of technical articles on homebrewing, boat anchors, rebuilding and upgrading radios, and other subjects:

https://www.ermag.com/

Phil

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing about ER that I heartily recommend is that any new subscriber purchase as many back issues as possible. It is expensive, but it is really great having the old issues because there's a lot of good material there.

I'm not wild about a lot of the content in ER but I feel like I can't really complain since I don't contribute much. I'd love to write more articles but with a job and a house and the usual daily chores plus working on my own gear and operating, I can't manage much writing.

Ray is at the mercy of what gets submitted, and I think he relies on regulars because one thing is certain: he has to put out an issue every month. I don't know what he's looking for and I can't read his mind--often an editor will hang on to an article due to a plan to run it in an issue with similar content. "The KW-1 issue" and so on for example. Or, perhaps an article is pretty long and he may wait until he has space for it. I've noticed less articles about heavy metal--big mauls, and more about lightweight stuff like novice CW rigs, and my hunch is that as we age, the authors are focusing on gear they can move around and handle.

I don't know about others, but one thing I do with magazines is run ideas by the editor before doing anything and see if they like what I have in mind. I've floated the idea of an article on my 3-400 rig with Ray and he was enthusiastic, but writing about it is a big undertaking for me, and I have not made much progress.

I've submitted a lot of photos over the past 2 or 3 years and only one or two ever got used, which was disappointing, but ER is our AM magazine, at least it is if you run vacuum tube gear, and I sometimes wonder what will happen when Ray hangs it up, and if anyone will take it over. I kind of worry about that because a monthly serial publication is a huge obligation and responsibility. It's a full time business. I imagine Ray would like to spend more time on other things like operating--I've never even heard him on the air--but he probably can't because of the magazine. So I try to be supportive.

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple years worth in the garage I have read and some content is good some not so good....
    But I agree the backed issues are good to have.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I have written a few articles for ER. Have some ideas for more, but I need to sit down and write them. If nobody writes the articles, none will get published.
    I found the most recent issue, the one that came a couple of days ago, particularly devoid of anything of interest to me. I breezed through it in even less time than it usually takes me to flip through an issue of QST.

AF6LJ likes this.