ad: M2Ant-1

Elecraft KX2-the FDIM Interview with WA6HHQ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, May 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4CDN

K4CDN Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning (5-19-16) Eric (WA6HHQ) kicked off the FDIM (Four Days in May) with the Keynote address and the official introduction of the New Elecraft KX2.

Immediately following the presentation, Eric sat down with our very own George (KJ6VU) to give the HR360 audience a first peek into the KX2.

Listen Here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/amateurradio15/elecraftFDIM.mp3

[​IMG]

Show Notes Can be found here: Link

[​IMG]

Many Thanks to George (KJ6VU) and Eric (WA6HHQ)

Stay up to date with all things Hamvention on Twitter: @K4CDN @KF7IJZ @KJ6VU

EB1BSV, KF4T and N3REB like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

True story-- I had no idea the kx2 was coming out and walked over to the Elecraft booth at Dayton....

What the heck is...THAT!

As soon as I heard 10 watts I whipped out my credit card. I never make impulse purchases, but man, this just was too good to pass up.

I am having so much fun , in just 5 minutes of playing. Yep, I already have a kx3. The kx2 goes where even kx3's dont...like my pocket, as carry on.

Just....amazing. 13 ounces. True SDR radio.

And they sold out of them at Dayton already....

Made in USA!

K4CDN and KF4T like this.
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

What price were they selling for and what options did you get?

K4CDN likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

959 with atu

K4CDN likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just back from Dayton..

Here's the KX2 (no antenna connected) in front of my IC-7800...far smaller than the actual 7800's screen! About the size of the iMate on left...

The RX is excellent . The noise floor is similar to the 7800; at some point I will put a sig gen on the kx2 and check. Audio is clean and filters work very, very well. The binaural (stereo) dual watch is excellent.

Just running it thru some Q's on TX later today. Interface with a Surface pro 4 is planned, but I am mostly a knobs and buttons guy.

For many, the kx2 is bound to be, IMO, an extraordinary 'HF entry' and SDR radio.

I will be using the kx2 with a THP 50 watt amp in early July from Bryce NP for NPOTA:)

Chip W1YW
    upload_2016-5-23_7-59-29.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    K4CDN likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ok...had some cw fun:)...

Break in is excellent as expected. Took 5 minutes to get the filters and other menus as I wanted, but most are one time adjustments.

Keyer is smooth with user set weighting(ratio).I am get a little better than 10 watts, but am keeping it down for battery life. There are amp and voltage monitoring of the batteries via the menu, so you can easily monitor charge lifetime. Tuner was fast snd took a 5:1 swr longwire, thrown out the window for this demo, with ease.

The menus are straightforward and while slightly fewer options than the kx3( I also have a kx3) I found nothing missing.

So far, with an amplifier(s), I see no downside for this as a main radio for less than a kilobuck, with full sdr and super-portable abilities.

I will let someone else comment on ssb and digital modes...

Just amazing. Wayne, first class design!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    DF1HX/SK2023 and K4CDN like this.