ad: elecraft

Elecraft KX-2 Announced

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8MRG, May 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5IFY

KG5IFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be in Singapore, I'm not sure what floor yet. It's worth a shot regardless! I will have some down time at night and I have seen the city enough times, I would rather try to QSO!

2. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

for
    Wonderful city/state - lived there 3 years between 2006 and 2009!
    but make sure to have a permit to transmit - I wasn't ham at that time so don't know about the regulations or reciprocal license agreements but they are very strict about local laws.
    In any case you will enjoy local food and shopping - I am still missing it - planned even to come back this summer but not so sure I will have a chance.

Thomas

3. KG5IFY

KG5IFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I just googled it, and I may not after all. $50 for a temporary license on HF. I'm not sure I want to pay $50 for that. Maybe I'll just leave the new radio at home :\

4. WA7SGS

WA7SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was designing a portable QRP radio, it would be ruggedly built for outdoor use. That's a downside for the KX-2. Where Elecraft won in operability was the large screen compared to it's main competitor, the Yaesu 817 models. That one is too small for my poor eyes and if yours are good, they'll soon be bad if you have to squint into that tiny display...LOL! Getting RTTY and PSK modes is ubergravy and if you read the manual, you'll see the KX-2 ran in digital mode is supposed to be set for 5W output. Power management win! Top off the win conditions with Elecraft's quality receiver sections, the built-in (optional) antenna tuner and a more modern rechargeable battery.

Predix: Look for even more 817's on the used rig market than there already are and a plummeting price. The "cheap ham" set looking to get into QRP will enjoy that aftereffect!

Question: Will the Big Three respond with an even better QRP radio?

Intention: I'll save my shekels and buy everything I need for a complete deluxe KX-2 setup when the pile of moolah hits the needed amount. QRP play has always been in the back of my mind and I already have in hand the Alpha EZ Military antenna kit plus Aspect Solar's 300 series system with two controllers, three panels and plenty of accessories. Run me out of power, I dare ya'! Hi-Hi!

Rick

5. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,
    nice post. I not sure rugged is that important to ops like me. I feel like most of the KX3/KX2 setups are guys like me that operate from picnic tables.

I guess I need to go back to the Jeep dealership and turn my JK in. Not worried about the man card, wife yanked that years ago.

6. WA7SGS

WA7SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Outdoors in Oregon on the coast will test a radio. Over here our golfers play in the rain too!

Rick

K4YND likes this.
  7. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had my Elecraft KX2 for just two days, and this happened:

8. KK4MWX

KK4MWX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been researching the KX2. I'm planning on a lot of portable. Mostly spots I can hike to and throw an antenna. But I only have my Tech license but I have been looking for a test session in my area to upgrade to General. I should be able to get my general in the next few months and get started on learning cw.
    Should I purchase the KX2 now and become familiar with it?

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I won't tell you when you should make a purchase; that's up to you.

But I will point out that, if your goal is to learn CW and work it, you should realize that Technicians have access to the CW portions of 80m, 40m, and 15m. That's plenty of spectrum to get started with, even if you can't find a convenient exam session any time soon. Of course, it will take a while to learn enough CW to make a QSO; first you've got to learn the alphabet, both sending and receiving.

Sure, you'll eventually want to upgrade your license to General to gain access to more spectrum and more modes. For most people, getting a General ticket is easier than learning CW. But one is not a prerequisite for the other.

I wholeheartedly encourage you to do both: learn CW and get that General. The order in which you do those is up to you. I'm merely pointing out that you have the option of doing things in an unconventional order, if you so choose. Don't let the exam schedule stand in your way. You can get that KX2, and use it on 40m CW, before you upgrade your license.

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A few new videos on KX2 functions: