Elecraft KX-2 Announced

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8MRG, May 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

It has 2 meters and 6 meters.

There are mobile radios for vehicles like that.

2. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a VHF/UHF in a portable radio is still very valuable to many. When you have real mountains to work from (The Rockies, the Adirondacks, the Greens, Whites, Smokies, etc) a rig like that allows you to have a nice high gain directional antenna and a small rig and have loads of fun.

Also, don't forget the 857 and 817 are two of the best selling satellite radios in use today. Unless you spend mucho amounts of cash on a fixed antenna system you need to be outside pointing the antenna yourself, which essentially makes you a portable operator.

In fact, I think Elecraft missed out on a decent pool of sales by not having 70cm as an option along with 2 meters. They would easily sell a few hundred additional base units a year, and I'm sure many non-satellite ops would have bought the 70cm module "just because". I'm guessing space or technical implications being the main reason for leaving it out.

I really want a KX2 knowing how great of a radio it is, but I also want to have VHF/UHF capabilities for SOTA and Satellite Work. This means choosing between the 817 which is not as solid of a radio and the KX2 and continuing to persue just the FM birds using HT's.

K4YND likes this.
  3. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure the vhf/uhf will cause a few sales to be missed but not many. This is a qrp radio to go....

4. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are always Transverters for other bands... In fact, the FT-817 has been a very popular radio for the Microwave crowd as an exciter to the ghz bands. 2m, 220mhz, and 70cm generally use 10m as the cross over band. Though, with the KX2 you wont have FM...

5. KB4MNG

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I opted for an 817 recently and have been happy with it so far. Battery performance was poor until I learned to change the recharging cycle time from the default value. After getting a decent charge on the installed battery it will operate for a decent time. Looking at the KX2 I'm very impressed. I must agree that the 817 is becoming obsolete tech wise. It has been around a long time. I suspect the KX2 may push Yaesu to upgrade their little 817. I certainly hope they do that rather than opt out of the QRP market as others appear to have done. I for one think the 817 requires more ergonomic controls....I keep bumping the Main dial when playing with the pushbuttons. A larger screen and DSP would round the package out nicely. I bet having UHF and VHF bands as an optional package (as Elecraft has done) might help keep the price down on an HF only model.

7. KB4MNG

I don't like the 817, IMO the receiver is not good and draws too much current. I have a kx3 and k1. The kx3 is a phenomenal receiver. The k1 rx is not as good but love the portability. What will cause me to get the kx2 is the size. If you include elecrafts battery system, it is a very portable system.

K4YND likes this.
  8. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Saw it in Friedrichshafen, looks promising, but it was actually not possible to buy it directly. Maybe the local distributor had few pieces but they should have gone the very first day.
    Have already FT-817 and I am wondering about the KX2 performance. Internal batteries of FT-817 do not last long (it least mine) but the current consumption is twice of that of Elecraft in standby/receive !
    Yes, it will fit in the pocket, but they have very nice bags in two sizes to carry it safely. Actually the external mike looks ridiculously big compared to the radio itself !
    I am really tempted ! Filled the basket already twice, but did not hit "Order" button yet and holidays are approaching.
    For FtT-817 I purchased external LiPoFe battery but actually too big to be accepted by airlines with the specific regulations. Internal KX2 battery would pass through w/o issues. To be continued...
    Thomas

9. KG5IFY

KG5IFY Ham Member QRZ Page

My KX2 should be shipping some time next week. I have a trip overseas in three weeks, I plan on bringing it with me and my endfed antenna for the hotel.

10. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, you are right. But depending where do you stay in the hotel.
    Last time I was on 10th floor in Lisbon, Portugal.
    I had FT-817, 3m collapsing fishing pole, magnetic loop and endfed monobander for 20m.
    Magnetic loop did not work practically inside of the hotel room - probably because of lot of steel in the concrete walls that was a Faraday cage!
    I pulled out, by slightly opening window, my 10m of wire hanging down via fishing pole. I could make a QSO but I was afraid that I will be quickly localized by hotel staff... as the facade of the building was lit overnight with strong outside reflectors....

But another time I was staying in Normandy quite close to the sea and the same endfed was strung from the first floor's balcony to the nearest tree and working great - hearing well the stations from US, Canada and even Australia, I could make several QSOs that evening in SSB with european countries including Russia around 3000 kms away - with only 5W and getting pretty good reports.