Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There must be some out there...but where? Maybe the early rigs went to bigfoot, mothman, and the Little Grey Dudes from Zeta Retiucli II. :D

[​IMG]

KA4DPO, N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  2. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have suspected the same thing for some time.... If, after all the Hoopla and marching bands, and the discontinuation of their killer K3S line of radios, The LOOONG delayed K4 can't beat the much cheaper, and proven Yaesu on the Sherwood suite of tests... Elecraft is toast, or at least gonna be in MAJOR damage control mode and frantically trying to prevent mass cancelations by disappointed and angry pre-buyers.

They're walking a tightrope as a company. They need to ship enough radios to prevent mass defections, but if it's not quite ready for prime time, and Rob Sherwood gets his hands on one to test and it comes up short... well... that would be devastating to their reputation and future sales. Meanwhile formerly satisfied K3S and K3 owners who can no longer get upgrades and parts for their existing radios are getting mighty grumpy and feeling pretty unloved. Customer loyalty is a delicate thing, it's hard to build, but even harder to rebuild after trust is lost.

My hope is, that Elecraft can get it together and knock one out of the park with the K4, but if, after all the build up they only hit a double or triple, things are gonna get really ugly. All the prestige and exclusivity goes out the window if anybody can just walk into a HRO store on any Tuesday, and buy a better radio off the shelf for a thousand dollars less.

WB5THT, WB3EYB and K0UO like this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

If memory serves me correctly, the K4 was announced about the same time as the 7610 and Yaesu FT DX101’s. No doubt the success of those rigs will cut into K4 sales. But the user base of K3 and K3S’s and KX2/3’s is very strong. Heck, the K2 is still in production.

Well, we’ll see if they hold their market share in a very competitive playing field...

WB5THT and K0UO like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's sure competitive, but it's also a really small playing field.

I'm amazed anyone is manufacturing amateur radio gear today -- the market is tiny and nobody would be buying millions of parts to produce them, so the economy of scale barely applies.

Would it be funny if "everyone" stopped producing and selling ham gear, and we had to build everything from scratch ourselves like the early amateurs did?

I think that would actually be fun, and probably encourage me to clean my cluttered workbench off.

KA4DPO, WB2PKR, KC1MRN and 2 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why wait for the majors to stop producing ham gear?

Just DO IT! :)

I still fully plan to build a receiver from scratch adequate to work all 50 states paired with a homebrew transmitter before I assume room temperature :)

I've built plenty of small transmitters and a regen or two but never anything up to this challenge

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean like THIS?:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-southgate-ultimate-transmatch.454795/

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/a-few-pictures-of-the-southgate-type-7.453281/

Check out W6JL's QRZ page.

Or this:

http://www.kg7tr.com/

So why not do it?

73 de Jim, N2EY

N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well you know where to look for ideas.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Except not all hams--or even most--ever did once you got far past the spark era, anyhow.

"What if the manufacturers stopped producing vehicles and we had to go back to riding horses?"

;)

9. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Or move to Alaska and travel by dog sled?

W4NNF likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I asked my dog if he thought getting a K4 would be a good idea, but he thought it was still RUFF and wants to wait for the K9.

AB0R, VK6APZ, W4NNF and 5 others like this.