ad: cq2k-1

Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The real power of the Elecraft rigs is in the EQ. The front end is also great, but if you haven't dug into the EQ abilities of the Elecraft, then you're missing out. It makes my FTDX3000's Contour feature look very outdated.

KA4DPO and US7IGN like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

The guys huffing Grey Poupon, that's who.

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would. Couple of the parks guys here take k3 and matching amps out portable. Just case them well.

4. K5BDH

K5BDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My retirement gift 15 years from now.

NL7W likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

You have shown an excellent understanding of how radio works. Alas, I often see how on the low bands some not only do not use the ATT, but turn on the preamp and increase the AF gain. And then they complain that the radio is bad and noisy.

I also know guys like that, but they usually drink more whiskey than make QSO ...

K8XG, KA4DPO, KE0EYJ and 1 other person like this.
  6. KE7FXO

KE7FXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Although they are impossible to find at the moment, I bought a 7610 a few months ago and it is the nicest and most fun rig I've ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. My last rig was the FTDX5000. Well, let me correct that. I bought an IC7300 after the FTDX5000, because at the time, the bands were pretty dead and I didn't really use but about 1/3rd of the features on the 5000.

I liked the 7300 a lot, even more than the 5000 (crazy as that might sound... lol), but I decided to sell it after a few months, and put that cash towards a 7610. Although the 7610 cost 3 times what the 7300 did, I am still glad I did it. It's a keeper and does everything I need it too. It's a really fun rig with a very versatile display. The screen issue has supposedly been addressed, but I still run it on low brightness, just as a precaution, and because I like it that way anyway. If I want bright, I just push one button that switches me to the computer monitor.

I have an Elecraft KPA500 on order. It's supposed to take 6-8 weeks. I wanted the Mercury III LDMOS amp, but the wait is 5 months, with a $1,200 deposit. <sigh>

N3AWS and KA4DPO like this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a great feature, but deems pretty menu intensive, how is it under busy conditions like SS or field day? also, since CW signals can vary in strength by quite a bit, it look like you would have to do a lot of menu hopping. I definitely agree with lowering the RF gain, I use the attenuators on my radios quite often to improve the signal to noise ratio.

I also find that using the twin passband tuning coupled with the APF is also a great way to separate CW signals in noisy conditions. I don't think anyone can argue how solid the Elecraft front end design is, they are at the top end of amateur radio. It is interesting to note that Yaesu and Kenwood both use very similar first mixer and IF schemes to achieve such high dynamic range.