Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Us “semi-literate fourth graders” understand you made it quite clear what you ‘wonder’.

2. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Can we please get back to a discussion of the K4? Thanks!

K1OIK and WD5GWY like this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe not everyone, but perhaps most of us have a favorite brand of manufacturer—nothing wrong with that. Right now, the whole industry needs our support.

By the way, Field Day has always been a great time to see and maybe operate some rigs you are considering buying. Let’s hope this year it resumes that tradition.

W4LJ likes this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

But who will drag such an expensive transceiver into the field!?!?!

KN4XJ and W4NNF like this.
  5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably no one this year as very few have shipped apparently. But, in years past, heavy gear has not been an obstacle for some—especially those that like to brag about having the newest and the best!

73!

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

The life of the rich is different ... :D

F8WBD and N3AWS like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some will...me? I'll drag out my trusty IC-7200 and FT-857D despite the risk of being considered declasse'. :D

F8WBD, N3AWS and US7IGN like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Heavy" is what old rigs were.

My first Field Day with a group of kids who were ham friends (all teens), we used gear from the late 50s (Johnson Valiant, Heath Apache, NC-303 and SX-101 for a multiop station) and the gear probably weighed 300 lbs. Not remotely "the best" or "the newest" and when we placed the Valiant on an aluminum folding table, the table collapsed.:p

Took four of us to drag a "park bench table" that probably weighed at least 300 lbs over to where we wanted to operate and use that instead.

Gatorade hadn't been invented yet, but Cheerios were.

K1OIK, US7IGN and N3AWS like this.
  9. K5BDH

K5BDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meh...Im holding out for the K5. ;)

US7IGN likes this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The next solar-cycle, perhaps?

K1OIK likes this.