Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3AWS, Apr 7, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody know anyone who has received their K4 yet?

Jim N3AWS

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

yes. i know 2

N4FZ likes this.
  3. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I am wondering if it will replace the Yaesu FT101D at the top of Sherwood’s table and how it will compare to their own K3S.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. KV5J

KV5J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can answer that.

no

K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

After spending many months pondering the K4 vs. FTDX101D (MP) I'd have to say I'd personally go for the FTDX (having played with one extensively - SUPER cool radio!)

Even Bob Sherwood himself says that MOST users will NEVER notice any differences in most any modern rig in that class - it's more about the features, creature comforts, bells, whistles, dogs and ponies - does the radio have the stuff on it that YOU want.

The K4 looks cool no question, I gotta say. But they're not exactly rolling off the assembly line.

IMO, it's very possible the delays with the K4 are relating to the Sherwood table - with some engineering going on behind the scenes in an effort to top Yaesu.

Dave
    W7UUU

K5ABB, K0UO and KA4DPO like this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably not, I think the analog front end option is no better than the K3S so you are right. From what I saw, I did like the display, but even that has yet to be proven from a reliability standpoint. I really am looking forward to seeing some reviews of the K4 on Eham, Sherwoods page, and QST. It will be interesting to see where it stacks up against the competition in price, and performance.

I'm building a ham radio death star.
    When I finally pull the trigger, the Funeral Committee will be ANHILLIATED, DECIMATED and OBLITERATED.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KV5J

KV5J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't mean it's not going to be a great radio, but without the analog front end it will be a lagging a little. YMMV

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. KR2C

KR2C Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not so sure about that. The Kenwood TS-890 seems to be a great rig.

US7IGN likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as we've waited it should be the Superstar radio, however other manufacturers have already released Great Radios that have been proven.
    Like the newer 101, Icom7610 and Flex and don't overlook some of these new foreign SDRs.
    It is now a very competitive market featuring many great HF radios.

This is very positive to the amateur community.

It's a great time to be in amateur radio.

KC1MRN, KA4FOX, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My Heathkit Twoer can receive the entire band at once with a single dial setting.

Can your rig do that?:)

WB9YTG, KA0USE, W0FS and 13 others like this.