ad: ProAudio-1

Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

It will be formally announced this morning at Hamvention.

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

For $4000 (price listed on the elecraft website) I think I could have a lot more fun than a K4, though it does look like a neat radio.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it’s $4700 but top of the line comes with top of the line prices.

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

5. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like Elecraft gear, it works well and I prefer the utilitarian style.

I hardly use all the capabilities of my K3 but the
    K4 certainly looks interesting and is tempting,

WB5THT likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Because on 12 (13.8 V) it can still be used "mobile" or portable, such as during "Field Day." The power drain (e.g the current requirement) may be too much for most portable operations, though.

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A Flex-6700 has eight receivers. There is a reason that it costs what it does. (no idea why others can be $12k) The IC-7610 only has 2 at $3k. I also own a Flex-6400 with two receivers and it only cost $2k.

The biggest thing to me is to get the K3S to match the IC-7610, you are paying $5,100+. While Elecraft is overall better at that price. Is it really worth $2k? A full Flex 6400 better?

Dollar for dollar, that doesn't work for me. As I said earlier post, I'm a Elecraft (KX3 and absolutely love it) and Flex owner. Elecraft make great products, but they are definitely the Apple iPhone of ham radio. There is a hefty Elecraft (Apple for iPhone) tax included on top of the cost to build that product.

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a SS radio which means it will likely fail by then and those SS parts will no longer be available. Well, unless your intent is to put it in a museum!

:D :D :D

9. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

The real web site is up now and it looks like $4,699.95 + $399.95 for the K4ATU

There were no official links to the previous web site - I'm going to guess that was a place holder that nobody was ever supposed to see, but the URL was easy to figure out.

10. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't need this at all.

I keep saying that and some day I might believe it.

G4LJW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.