Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You forgot the Southgate Type 7 and its predecessors......

N2SR likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

No, he didn't.

To wit, "...or the myriad other fun old radios made over the years..."

W3KHG likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, a very important feature of the company and product. They stand behind it and will even help you fix it if you want by sending/selling parts. Try that with most other radio manufacturers. Case in point, the only thing I don't like about my K3 is the IF noise blanker (the DSP NB works great tho). I wrote Elecraft to inquire about it and they immediately sent me a new NB board just in case it was defective. Didn't even want the old board back.

They also continuously upgrade their products. My K3 was toward the end of its production, and by then the new synthesizer board and several other improvements had been developed for K3S that were backward compatible with the K3. So, my K3 came with those improvements for no extra cost or effort on my part at all! In effect I got a K3+ radio.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    NL7W likes this.
  4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah yes! You are correct, sir!

The Type 7 certainly fits that description. Thanks for pointing it out.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And neither will the self appointed keyboard experts that have you believe they actually understand it all since birth! :p
    Talk is cheap but when there is no actual experience to back it up (just continuous pages of blather and denial) they can be easily dismissed by those who are well versed in the RF world.

And after the June QST review of the TS-890S there is a lot to be said for the resurgence of Kenwood.....what a great rig!

Carl

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

There was quite a bit of real data posted on some UK sites plus in print. I dont know how far back it went but they certainly didnt pull punches on the early all SS rigs, especially ones using a PLL. Im sure the ARRL has it all in their library:D

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And lack of sustainability as parts quickly reach obsolescence.

WN1MB likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Which the ARRL lab ran well past their expiration date into the 90's or so iffn I remember. Component aging (all discrete such as carbon comp resistors) from the PS to the RF sections, high heat, and calibration not keeping up with it all.

I rebuilt a pair here in the mid 90's and it was a constant job to keep in cal for critical testing.

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Most hams cant grok past their navels

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Unlike DXE who wont even release a schematic/parts list on their, often unreliable, products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.