Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've read through this thread but still have a question.

7610 or K4??

2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's not enough information -- on either quite frankly -- to make that decision yet.
    Many aspects of the 7300 and 7610 are nebulous from an intimate delve into the engineering aspects -- especially the TRANSMITTER feedback control mechanisms, like TGC and or ALC. Icom refused to delve into that in their 7300 manuals. It's a mystery.
    Okay... I assume that is still the case with the 7610 design and it's implementation explanation. It's proprietary... ;)

N3AWS likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In his various thoughts he puts down throughout the book he muses on the meaning of quality, the pursuit of which, or more accurately the pursuit of the meaning of it, being one of the main things that lead him down the path to mental illness before.

He basically says that it is NOT definable, or quantifiable, but there is an undefinable yet intuitively knowable aspect to it.

KJ4VTH and N2EY like this.
  4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well dad-burn it I have to figure it out! I just got back from Dayton yesterday where I sold enough equipment to put some $3K burning a hole in my pocket and I need to do something with it!! QUICK!!

Help me!! :)

N2EY likes this.
  5. NL7W

Hence the duality I've developed. One of quantifiable facts, and the other of intuitions based on a lifetime's experience and wisdom.

KM1H likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And yet it is Quality which defines, and gives meaning!

7. NL7W

You're on your own.
    The K4 looks positive and fascinating. It would be something to look forward to. Anticipation...

W4PG likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NL7W likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K4, of course! Though I might be a bit biased, being a K3 owner. :):D

All the technical comparisons are important, but so is operation. I don’t like the display on the 7610 at all. Too busy, too hard to see the vital information at a glance, and the meters take up far too much space, especially because most of the time I don’t care about S-readings. Only one tuning knob. And it appears that too many controls may have been put onto the touch screen instead of on a button.

It’s too early to make a decision, naturally, but it would take a lot to get me to overlook those things.

NL7W likes this.
  10. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, I'd go with the FLEX 6XXXM models. Price, performance, expandability, ergonomics--what's not to like?

73 and have fun

Jim N3AWS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.