ad: vanity

Elecraft K4

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6RZ, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Your average plug n' play ham won't.

The question is, "Are they willing to learn?"

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    KM1H likes this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I was selling a 30W 75M SSB transceiver kit as far back as 1985 using a 28V MRF 138. IMD was > -30dB by the Real method using the current models HP gear at work.
    Published in HRM 11/85
    It worked just fine mobile using a small but robust Radio Shack 6 to 12V converter which never burped on 12V.

Carl

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean the article: "A Compact 75 Meter Monoband Transceiver" by K1BQT, Rick Littlefield?

If so - great!

How many did you sell?

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    N2SR likes this.
  4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good enough is the enemy of mo' better - and that can be taken both ways.

Can you measure the difference? Sure. Can you HEAR the difference? And does it make any difference?

At some point things really area "good enough" and further improvement, while it may be measurable, becomes pretty meaningless in normal use.

KP4SX likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

What is quality? How do you measure it? Why do humans bother?

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to keep things in perspective, the lowest IMD transmitter can be a horrid performer if the operator uses too much mic gain and compression - which is what I hear daily on the bands.

KM1H likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

Are you familiar with Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? :)

I honestly believe quality matters to a point, and after a certain point it just doesn't - example, for those of us who still like the time on our wrists and not just our phone, I am wearing a Timex I've had for years, which keeps better time than any several thousand dollar mechanical fancy watch. If one wants a piece of jewelry, or an heirloom, then a Rolex/Breitling etc. makes a certain kind of sense, maybe, to someone who can afford one. If one just wants accurate reliable time on their wrist though - not so much. OTOH you can get department store watches for well less than this Timex, and for the most part they are junk. They rarely outlast the battery.

I have found it true in almost everything I've ever been interested in that, at the lower end of price scales, paying a little more gets a much better product. But as one goes up in costs the returns diminish to the point eventually one pays a great deal more for barely perceptible, if perceptible at all, differences, or features one will never use, or both. This is only peripherally related to transmit IMD in the sense that I am not sure better transmit IMD quality is all that tied to price, at least above the lowest levels (like that Collins under discussion.)

So it's kind of an observation and kind of a serious question - how good really is good enough in transmit IMD? How good does it have to be before the receiving operator, assuming a very good but not superlative station and a good listener but not the most sensitive ear on earth, actually hears a difference? I don't know, don't even have a clue.

N2EY likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

Indeed, me too - and THAT is EASY to hear for anyone with half an ear.

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Read it when I was 16. I need to reread.

The non-mechanic rode the BMW, and had trained mechs touch it. Phaedrus rode a Triumph if my memory serves me correctly, and knew the bike intimately. :)

I remember there were one or two chapters that struck a chord with me.

For me, quality is simple, immediate, and direct. Even though I'm supremely passionate and intuitive person, I take up and wrap my arms around the typical classical viewpoint of quality -- that which is measured, quantified and or calculated. Inferences come from information, but my duality allows for highly intuitive nature to intrude with ease.
    I was a technician and telecom systems engineer for too long. It's difficult to change our core being.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, and there seem to be some bad apples out there that apparently enjoy doing it in order to clear out a wide band around themselves.

KM1H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.