Elecraft K4 shipping?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2PLK, Jan 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was announced on the Orlando hamcation forum that basically there being the very few that are being shipped are running a Beta version software/ they said they still have a lot of tweaks to make/ like the diversity receive.

2. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

From this thread I get the impression that Elecraft isn’t keeping those who made a deposit well informed. I hope that I am wrong about that...

K0UO likes this.
  3. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In the meantime you can't get a K3s anymore...I think that's a big mistake, but then again they didn't ask me so whatever.

4. AB2YC

AB2YC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As I understand it the K4 only beats the K3 when you
    add the dual superhet module for about another $1000

W4HWD likes this.
  5. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I like my K3s just fine so that's a $1000 game I'm not willing to play.

N0TZU and N3AWS like this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m still trying to figure out how someone determined it doesn’t “beat” another radio - I thought the theme here was complaining about not yet being able to do that. :rolleyes:

W4HWD likes this.
  7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

One radio beat another? If you want to boil it down to one parameter, look at where a rig sits on Sherwood Engineering's list. The top radios on that list are separated by very little, not much more than the accuracy of the testing. However, there are many many other characteristics that come into play comparing one radio against another. All good HF radios have plenty of RF sensitivity. In these radios received band noise dominates the rigs noise floor, so "atmospheric" noise is what limits sensitivity, not which rig you're using. Narrow IF filters reduce the bandwidth of the noise, but all decent HF rigs have very good IF filters. Perhaps what differentiates rigs more nowadays is how their DSPs deal with band noise. There are differences in effectiveness, and also in how pleasant or unpleasant the resulting sound is. There are also ergonomic factors. If the UI is such that it's more difficult to make changes you often make, or leads you to make errors, or even increases the chance you'll brush the VFO inadvertently, that's less than idea.

In extremely crowded condx with very very big nearby sigs, then the fundamental RX performance measures (bdr, IP3, etc.) do come into play, but that's so rare for me it's hardly worth considering.

WB9YTG and K0UO like this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the last thing you mention...ergonomics...is what mostly differentiates rigs in the same "tier" these days. And even then it's often that what you are used to is the "best." ;)

N3AWS likes this.
  9. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

All deposits are refundable. It’s clearly stated on their website. Can you name one person who asked Elecraft for a refund and was denied? If not, stop making crap up.

N0TZU, K1VSK and KP4SX like this.
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know that I prefer the Icom DSP and menu system over others, because I am used to it, and it makes sense to me. I don't care for Yaesu's menu system, it seems clunky. Yaesu's noise blanking is very good, but the menu system is the most non intuitive I have used.

The Icom system is laid out more like a series of apps. I am OK with Kenwood, although, they're menu system is a bit quirky, to me anyway, but I like the performance of the new TS-890.

As far as performance goes, I don't think anyone makes radios with poor performance anymore, except for Baofeng.:)

N3AWS likes this.