Elecraft K4 shipping?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W2PLK, Jan 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is a handy visual aid.

Birds on a Wire.jpg

K5MUG, WN6U, F8WBD and 2 others like this.
  2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We'll see in about 15 years or so.

WZ7U, N3AWS and N2EY like this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft and Flex request a deposit merely to be in line. What you get for your thousands is to wait years for a place in line. I did not give a deposit when I bought a Flex some years ago and only waited a month after the depositors were satisfied. I will never give a deposit for ham equipment. My choice.

K0UO, KP4SX and KA4DPO like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Neither would I, however, the only certainty here is that new, high end radios aren't going to get cheaper in the near-term. If they or anyone offered a guaranteed price, that might turn out to be a bargain in the long run in which case I would have eagerly paid up front.

Given market uncertainty especially now, I think Elecraft was smart to not do that.

N2EY likes this.
  5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like a FOREVER stamp :)

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For their latest products, yes. Other products can be bought with no waiting time.

????

No, what you get is a place in line so that you can be one of the first in line to get a brand new product.

???

What does that mean?

Say, was that the Flex that had all sorts of problems because it was used with an inadequate power supply? The one that worked perfectly once an adequate power supply was used?

Sure. No problem.

It really boils down to this:

Some folks want the latest-and-greatest, state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line, no-compromises new radio, and they want it ASAP. And they want it SO MUCH that they're willing to put down hard cash up front to get one.

That's their choice.

What's really interesting is the folks who do that fall into two groups IMHO:

Group One are those with serious contest/DX stations who really do need the best performing radio available. They're the ones pushing the envelope of what can be done in a serious contest environment, or on a full-up DXpedition. They have SERIOUS operating skills, top technical know-how, and antenna farms that must be experienced to be appreciated.

Group Two are the "pride of ownership" folks, who use maybe 1% of a top radio's performance and features, but simply want "the best".

N2SR likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KA4DPO, N2EY and K0UO like this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that Icom and other radios are becoming more available, than they were a few months ago, that should kick them in the ass a little bit. HI

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On

W5IEI, N3AWS and W4NNF like this.
  10. W0AZ

W0AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding wives vs. antennas, I’ll paraphrase an old saw about love and money:

A wife will get you through times of no antennas better than antennas will get you through times of no wife.

(Fortunately, few of us have to make a choice quite that draconian.)

As for going without a tower and Yagis if one’s wife considers them unsightly - I’m in that situation, but I have working antennas up that my wife is (and our neighbors are) happy with, and I still have plenty of fun on the radio.

Would I bust more pileups with the tower and Yagis? Sure. I just consider it part of the challenge.

N2EY and N1EN like this.