Elecraft K3 Verses The Rest?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N3TU, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't have any trouble working numerous stations during this past weekend's contest on 20m with my old TS-830...

2. KA5S

KA5S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Verses

Verse the First
    Elecraft K3 I see
    Specs tell how good a rig can be.
    Photos show us just how how small
    We can still build, or build at all!

Verse the Second
    Stands K3 high with snow topped peak
    Almost unconquered.
    Another team went up to find the bodies
    Left behind.

Verse 3
    O Lord won't you buy me a nice new K3?
    They've got Flex 5,000's
    How sad can I be?
    My signal comes out of a five seventy,
    O Lord won't you buy me a nice new K3!

Cortland (versus the poets)
    KA5S

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  3. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

When you mentioned the K3 beat another by 40 dB I thought I'd better check into this. There are qualifiers for the tests. The 2 kHz tests were run with a 0.2 kHz, 0.4 kHz, & 0.5 kHz IF filter in the K3 while the TS-2000 was tested with a 3 kHz & 6 kHz wide filter.

This is an apple, oranges, & bananas test! At least that's the way I read it.

fp

4. KI6USW

KI6USW Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KD8K

KD8K Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, if the TS-2000 had the capability to use narrow roofing filters, the results may have been different, but it does not. The TS-2000 is an up conversion design, where narrow filters are very difficult to make. The ability to install narrow roofing filters in a down conversion design such as what the K3 uses (and some other radios, such as the Orion series and the new TS-590) is what helps make it a better performer. The TS-2000 does have a lot of nice features, but it does take a performance hit because of its lack of narrow roofing filters, as can easily be seen by the 2khz dynamic range numbers I mentioned.

6. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like the TS-2000 is not suitable for CW contest work. I'll assume its optimized for SSB use.

7. KD8K

KD8K Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL did post an interesting K3 review that compared dynamic range results when various roofing filter bandwidth's were used. That review showed that when the 2.8 Khz roofing filter is used on the K3, it has a 5 Khz dynamic range of 103 db. This compares to 69 on the TS-2000, a 34 db difference. I think that would be a noticeable difference for SSB use. There was a lot of things that I liked about the TS-2000, but it did not hold up well to strong signal interference, when compared to some of the other rigs I have owned.

I believe that Inrad has a filter mod for the TS-2000. I have not seen any data as to how much it helps, that would be interesting to see.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.