Elecraft K2: where does it fit in today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3MIO, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I found that and will give it a look. I have a 7300 and Mountaintopper MTR-5B.

2. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a mint 470 Kenwood I think sounds better than anything on the market.

3. KC3MIO

After reviewing the posts here, I think my original assessment is correct. A new K2 makes no sense and if you are buying used $600 tops fully equipped. Otherwise go with a used or new KX2 or KX3.

4. W3KHG

W3KHG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not at this end. Since reading your post I have decided to purchase a K2 kit along with the internal amplifier. I built one of the first hundred which came out. Later sold it. Went the new digital radio route, Pro III, FT-2000, Orion II, etc, all the bells and whistles. Sold them and kept the Yaesu FT-1000mp, another analog radio which was the last Yaesu made.

Thank you for the post!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    NL7W likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I want one as well, though it might be a bit for me to place an on-line order. Want the 100-watt model.

6. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a K2/100 owner for 8 years now, I can say it has one of the BEST receivers available, comparable to my K3. It is an excellent CW rig. The menus take a little getting use to, and you might have to get out the manual to do the filter setups. I bought mine used for $1,050, and have nothing but good things to say about it. Money well spent, IMHO. I hear you can even build one, HI.

HA3FLT and NL7W like this.
  7. KC3MIO

Thanks to all ops for very useful information. I have been on the lookout for a used K2 and will buy one if the price is right!

N4FZ likes this.
  8. W0CD

W0CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought a kit a few months ago brand new. #7899. I'm 99.99% CW operator and I find it absolutely amazing. HOWEVER, if you want bells and whistles, accurate VFO, and support for digi-modes. I'd pass and buy a 7300 or KX3.. etc.

My K2/100 is my primary rig these days (it's replaced a 590SG (amazing radio!), 7300, and 7410).

HA3FLT, N4FZ and W3KHG like this.
  9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

My almost 20 year old K2 sits right next to my almost 40 year old HW-8...I use them both..a lot.

W5ESE, N2EY, HA3FLT and 2 others like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a K2 for many many years.
    But after looking at the new Icom 705 at Hamcation, everyone is going to have to face the facts, "There is a new generation in QRP radios.

I still have my old Argonaut and use it occasionally.

However with SDR radios, Spectrum scopes, better noise reduction, things are changing fast and the 705 is going to be the leader. K2s will always be around like my old Argonaut, but very outdated at this point.

There's a new Sheriff in town.

And with the planned K4 being so late in coming out and priced way above the other current radios, along with the huge number of Icom 7610s and the new 101s being sold, Elecraft is getting way behind and fast with their whole over priced product line.