Elecraft K2: where does it fit in today?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3MIO, Mar 7, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The K2 is still sold new by Elecraft, but its price with accessories is in the same ball park as the KX2/KX3. Why would anyone choose a 20+ year old technology over the KX line? I understand that it is well respected, but it seems like it’s priced too high. Used, in the $400-600 range, in good shape, I can understand. What is the logic?

WW2PT likes this.
  2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering its performance, I don’t think the K2 is that expensive. If you’re a CW op, it’s one of the best performing non-SDR/DSP radios ever. But yeah, it’s a hard sell when you price a similarly configured K2 to a KX2 or KX3.

NL7W, K5VZD and N4FZ like this.
  3. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is one reason. You can build the K2 as a kit, and it's a real kit that has you soldering components to a board. Some people like building kits and want to build their own radios.

Here is a second reason. If you build it as a kit, you will probably be able to repair it in the future, should anything happen to it. Would you be able to repair a KX2 or KX3? I certainly couldn't. Some people want their radios to last and not be things to be thrown away when they start having hiccups.

W5ESE, WA9SVD, N2EY and 6 others like this.
  4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

KC2SIZ hit the nail on the head. It's all thru hole construction, and it can do 100W with the PA. There's still a market, or they wouldn't be selling it I guess!

K5VZD, N4FZ and NL7W like this.
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a member of the Elecraft mailing list and I think KC2SIZ says it best. Yes Elecraft has rigs with newer technology but there is still a large following for the K2 in the Elecraft world and the fact that it is a kit and extensible seems to be one of the main drivers that I see people talking about.

N4FZ and NL7W like this.
  6. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, I understand the appeal of a kit. But what about the K2 as a rig? How does it stack up at its price?

PU2OZT likes this.
  7. W3KHG

W3KHG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look at the bandpass filters with the Spectrogram program. That says it all.

US7IGN and K5VZD like this.
  8. W3KHG

W3KHG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The K2 also is an analog receiver making it very quiet compared to the digital radio's today. The is a G station who posted a video on youtube comparing the K2 to the Icom 7300.

K8PG, N4FZ and NL7W like this.
  9. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the older radios vs. eye candy.

F8WBD likes this.
  10. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To me, many "older radios" ARE "eye candy" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W5ESE, N3AWS, KC3RN and 2 others like this.