Elecraft K2, Assembled/Unassembled?

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by W2GIW, Sep 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be in possession of an unassembled K2 later this year or early next.
    Would listing it for sale assembled be better than unassembled?

Thanks for any thoughts....Ken

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Are you asking should you build it?

Were it a Heathkit transmitter or receiver from the 1950s, I'd definitely say don't build it! In that case the sale value would be 10 times that of the item being built.

But for a K2, it's probably going to be about the same. Maybe unbuilt will have an edge by maybe $100-$200 - certainly easier for you to sell because you don't have to build it first just to put it up for sale! But if you build it first, you can have some fun using it before moving it along. Also, whatever options it has will also greatly affect the selling price, regardless of built or not.

Of course, if you hang onto it for another 10 years, the unbuilt value will likely be significantly higher.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. W2GIW

Hi Dave and thanks.
    I have a K2 of my own from 2003 and a K1. My friend bought probably 3 K2's many years ago and I built and sold them all. He bought them, one at a time, thinking he would build it each time and never did. I don't know what the market is like now days so thanks for the tips! Ken.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I did some searching and found an unbuilt K2 that went for about $1000 whereas a working, built K2 seems to range from $600 to $800, depending

Good luck either way!

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W2GIW

7. AG5UT

AG5UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there any unbuilt options that you'd be getting? There are a few of them that are no longer available, so selling those individually could do well. Particular options that come to mind are the KDSP2 and K60XV.

As far as selling built vs unbuilt, it all depends. If it's an early serial number (<3000 or so), it'd probably need to be updated. If it's a later serial number (>5000 or so), there aren't any significant changes. So long as the brand new unbuilt K2s can still be bought directly from Elecraft, there is probably no huge advantage to built vs unbuilt. It's mostly a question of whether or not you'd like to build it.

On the other hand, if you wanted to sit on it unbuilt until after Elecraft discontinues it, it could be worth a great deal more then.

8. W2GIW

Don't know about the options or S/N yet. Will find out eventually.......Thanks for responding.....Ken