Elecraft K1 Low audio from internal speaker

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KD2KUB, Aug 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2KUB

KD2KUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello amateur radio operators,

I picked up a K1 recently and noticed that it’s audio from the internal speaker is quite low, even with AF gain wide open. I did ensure the attenuator is off as well as non-typical operational settings.

From there, I did read in the manual that a procedure is necessary to troubleshoot (peaking the band filters, etc.)

Has anyone else had similar issues, before I go bumbling around in the radio?

By no means am I deaf yet! But it’s noticeably low.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. WA3UCR

WA3UCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not owned a K1 for a few years, but it is a fantastic little box. I only had one issue - the headphone jack was pretty unreliable, especially if you plugged headphones in and out a lot.
    How's the volume with headphones/earbuds? You may have a bad jack. I built my K1, used it for about 10 years and went through 3 jacks. But, I do admit I gave that jack a workout. The internal switch in the jack that shuts off the speaker craps out.

Head on over to the Elecraft reflector - lots of K1 experts there.

I used to take the K1 to the NC beaches with a homebrew center-loaded vertical, four radials, and a few 807's in a cooler and have a blast after dark working Europeans from the shore on 40.