Elecraft AF-1 Errata -external power labels reversed

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by WM7WM, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WM7WM

WM7WM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just built the Elecraft AF-1 Filter. Its a nice build, and very effective. I built it for specific use with the Heathkit HW-8. I am adding a zero beat indicator (grandfather of zero beat), and the DNR filter from Sotabeams. All packaged in a clear, waterproof enclosure. I've off-mounted at the I/O and discovered the power pins, labeled 1 and 2 are reversed. Looking at ythe board, you'll see pin 1 goes to the anode side of the protection diode (+) but the directions label this as (-). I also installed the power jack to the board as supplied. This caused a short when using external power, blowing the fuse in my DC distribution strip so I removed the jack. Problem solved. The jack was shorted internally. Maybe during installation? Maybe I got it too hot? Either way, it works perfectly now.

Next, I think I need to install a switch to select external power, or internal power, respectively.

I'll add some photos.

Wes
    WM7WM

upload_2019-11-30_10-46-32.jpg

AF-1 Back.jpg

AF-1 Schematic power section.jpg

AF-1 Board Trace side.jpg

AF-1 Board Component Side.jpg

More to come when complete.

Wes
    WM7WM

2. WM7WM

WM7WM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-12-8_14-59-28.jpeg Well, all done. I added the grandfather of zero beat and the AF-1 is a handy tool for older rigs without sufficient filtering. Pins 1 and 2 are silk screened reversed so use caution when off-mounting connectors like I did.

upload_2019-12-8_14-59-28.jpeg

wes
    WM7WM