ad: CQMM-1

ELAD FDM-DUO SDR QRP Quick Tour and Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Aug 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ELAD FDM-DUO is an SDR transceiver that offers the possibility to operate Standalone like traditional radio and when attached to a PC it opens up the possibilities offered by the SDR technologies. This is an operators review, hope you enjoy!

Please subscribe and share!

Thanks for watching.

Pascal VA2PV

Attached Files:

EA7B, W5KV, HB9VQQ and 2 others like this.
  2. HB9VQQ

HB9VQQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really a great Radio, sold my FT-991 for the ELAD FDM-Duo. Very very happy with the Duo.

VA2PV likes this.
  3. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice radio and nice video Pascal!

4. VA2PV

Please crank up the volume because I had different issues with the making of this video. My first take had a bad shadow from the boom mic and the other take had a mic issue. But after a week I decided to work with in post production. Sorry about the inconvenient and the echo. Working with 4k represents a real challenge, hope the image is good. ;-) Thanks for watching ! 73 Pascal VA2PV

5. NO20CALLSIG

NO20CALLSIG Guest

Performance quite good ,Italian design looks quite good , but mechanical construction could much better , vfo knob made out of light and painted plastic , so no flywheel operation possible , microphone connection placed at the rear ( should be at front ), mainswitch at the rear as well ! Sold my unit and got an IC-7300 instead !

6. K4VW

K4VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review. If Elad would drop the price I would get one. TU de Jim, k4vw

7. K8OCN

K8OCN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the review. It has me interested. I own 2 Flex 6300's but current problems with the reliability of the fans has me concerned. I am a guy that used to like to have a rig on in the background listening when I worked in the office but now I only turn on the Flex when I am going to operate.

How hot does this rig get? Have you ever heard of a heat issue with it?

My station is powered by my solar power setup and I use a MFJ battery booster to keep the voltage to 13.8 no matter the load I am asking and it works quite well dealing with the 50 feet of # 6 wire I have coming from the battery bank. My question is most us rigs are 13.8 +-15% this one says 10% That could be a problem at 10% over that is 15.18 volts and my charge controllers will run up the voltage to 15.5 volts for a few hours once a month to condition the batteries. In the shack I have Icom's, Flex, and Alinco rigs and have never had a problem. When I installed I check with Icom and they said it would be ok and it always has been. Do you have a way to ask the tech support of that company and find out if 15.5 volts would damage the rig?

Thank You again for a very nice review.
    DE K8OCN Del

VA2PV likes this.
  8. VA2PV

Hi Del, I did test it down to 10V and it worked, I was able to transmit too. I didn't show it in the video because I thought it was to low. If you look at 17:14 in the video I do test the Voltsage operation from at 13.8, 12 and 11V. I can't answer for the manufacturer but I know they saw the video and had no comment about the test. I strongly suggest to write an email this address sales@elad-usa.com and ask the question, just in case. Personally I do not worry over 12V, but that's not a recommendation. Thanks for watching! 73 Pascal VA2PV

9. K7GYB

K7GYB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic review. You did a great job editing and integrating the information with production! Thank you for such a well done and informative post. A pleasure to watch.

K7GYB

HB9VQQ and VA2PV like this.