EK1C, anyone tried one? Opinions?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VE7JBX, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. G6EXF

G6EXF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this is a pretty old thread, hope somebody is still monitoring it.

I’m going Qrp mobile from my caravan, that’s a camping trailer to some of you guys.

Looking for a qrp rig for Digi modes using an Easydigi. Will the EK1C send Digi modes? Will it take input from an Easydigi for machine generated CW.

Before you purists out there castigate me for not using a key I am a discalcusic dyslexic and have never been able to get the hang of cw, I am also deaf so to stay with the hobby and having to move to text based radio and away from ssb. Only have about 40% of my hearing left and it’s going downhill fast.

Any help/advice mush appreciated

73 de G6EXF
    Jeff

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff-
    No. Digi mode require SSB unless the rig is explicitly designed for digi.

You could look over the QCX from the folks at QRP Labs. I don't believe a PC is required for some digi modes.

3. G6EXF

Cheers Don... it’s what I thought, I’m on a restricted budget, so was hoping. Will look over at qrp labs.

KL7KN likes this.
  4. KL7KN

Well, Jeff,at $49 USD (plus what ever mass of taxes are inflicted on you there in UK) it is a great little piece of kit with very good, quality, English, documentation and a large support group.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll find something that will work...

Don//KL7KN

5. G6EXF

Thanks Don

Have decided to go for the BITX40. I know that will go straight on to vox digi. With my antennae all resonant on 40 it seemed a logical choice. Getting into the ‘States almost every day on 200mW WSPR and at least once every week into Australia I’m confident that it will work well from QTHR.. and even SSB qrp from the Mountains in Spain where the XYL and I spend much of the time in our caravan. So if you hear CQ CQ de G6EXF at the bottom end of 40 mtrs, give me a shout.

Thanks again

73 de G6EXF

Jeff

6. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

If my memory is correct, the BITX40 transmits only in LOWER sideband. The digi modes are sent in UPPER sideband, so you'll need to modify it for USB. You might want to consider the U-BITX as an alternative. It will work 80-10 meters, in USB as well as LSB. It's only a little more expensive than the BIT-X.

7. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff,

As you heard, the EK-1C won't do for this. Same price range/size/form factor as EK-1C but with SSB support which might work - if you can live with 3W, but for digital modes that might do - look up the QRPver. Know someone local here with one and build quality and performance are impressive. Not as cheap as the Bitx /uBitx but comes assembled, in a case, and quite a bit smaller.

8. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

PS - QRPver is one band only though - your choice at time of order - not multiband

9. KL7KN

Well, Jeff, since the sub-band for Alaska matches the band plan for the UK, we could (its possible) have a chat. Always fun to work some DX as I go camping.

We use a converted VW Type IV long nose for our camp vehicle. We sold out trailer (caravan) as being too much trouble.

Best wishes
    Don//KL7KN