EK1C, anyone tried one? Opinions?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by VE7JBX, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just tried on WWV 10MHz... zero beat at a displayed freq of 10.000.70; so unless I misunderstand, that should be about correct? I.e. displayed freq should be offset 700 Hz?

KB7NRN likes this.
  2. VE7JBX

And the corollary - when I test TX, all RBN spots come up 100Hz under the TX frequency as shown on the display.

No feedback yet from a contact on how the TX tone sounds, though. Tried listening with a local receiver but it sounded very raspy. I think RX was overloading.

KL7KN likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you kindly. The 10.00.70 sounds about right for the filter. Most folks these days see 700 to 1K as the 'right' offset for a transceiver. If you have a voltmeter that can read 0 to 3 VAC, you can sweep the filter to determine real B/W and the 3 dB points.

Again, thank you for answering my many questions.

4. VE7JBX

Happy to provide some first-hand data - hope it may be of use to anyone looking to select a qrp rig.

Tried tuning in an AM BC station on 41m band last night, and found a 600Hz offset from the actual TX frequency gave the best results for intelligibility. It was not good, but you could make out what was being said.

And, Tues afternoon made first (semi) successful portable contact with the EK1C. With a 20m Inv-V dipole (no tuner) stuck in a tree at a nearby park, got a 559 signal report back from MN. Semi successful because after exchanging callsigns, my key contacts went bad and made my sending pretty much incoherent. RX was good, pulling in stations from Hawaii and Japan (both were K3Y stations working pileups so they didn't hear me call back, though).

With the rig hooked into a MFJ tuner and into my attic "contorted 20m dipole" (that is, it's folded however it will fit in the attic!), on 20m yesterday afternoon even with actually quite bad propagation conditions, RBN showed weak but reliable (5-11 dB) spots all over CONUS (CO, NM, AZ, IL, PA).

Overall - have to say I'm happy with the performance and quality of the unit.

KL7KN likes this.
  5. KL7KN

Check your email I just sent you a schematic of the EK-1B - I suspect it pretty close to the -C model. Sould give you some ideas of where you can swamp the filter for wider B/W to use with SWL.

Don // KL7KN

6. VE7JBX

Thanks, Don! Might have to give that some thought as a future project....the schematic will be useful for any possible troubleshooting as well, should issues arise.

Just had a weak but successful QSO with it up into your neck of the woods... WL7WH reported it as 229 but rising to 339 at times, and said the tone & keying sounded good.

KL7KN likes this.
  7. KL7KN

"Grayline" in Alaska is different almost every day... Glad to hear you are making contacts.

8. NU6I

NU6I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Don.
    Could you email me the schematic too? my email is nu6i at arrl dot net.
    Thanks and 73. Yvon NU6I.

KL7KN likes this.
  9. KL7KN

Hey Yvon!

I have sent a copy of the EK-1B circuit drawing to the email address you posted.
    Please, let me know that it opened OK and is readable for you.

Don//KL7KN

10. KL7KN

If you got a good report from Robert, it's the real deal. He's worked WAS on a Tuna Tin][ - so he knows QRP. Good catch!

Best of luck
    Don//KL7KN