ad: QSLWorks-1

Egypt Operations

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W3BH, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W3BH

W3BH Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen:

I will operating from Egypt again this winter as SU9AM on 75/80 and Top Band. Anyone who wishes a sked please contact me at kjsorenson@gmail.com. I will also be operating fixed portable from the deep desert (Gilf Kibir) for a couple of weeks. Noise levels there are the lowest possible and I will have all the room in the world to lay out beverages in any direction. This will be a welcome change from urban Cairo which is impossibly noisy. Many thanks.

I also wish to announce that a long in planning public service project to boost Egypt tourism has finally come to fruition. We have put the first live webcam on the Pyramids so those that may never be able to come to Egypt can see these magnificent monuments in real-time. For those who have been thinking of visiting, we hope that the unique and exciting views we are capturing daily will encourage them to come and visit. The economy needs this boost.

The URL is Live Webcam on the Pyramids

Please join us for the exciting and colorful sunsets which are viewable between 6 and 10 am in the US depending on time zone.

This year I received the first unconditional five year license given to a foreigner. Egypt has become very ham radio friendly and the ham community here is growing steadily. If you are interested in coming over to meet the group and operate here as a reciprocal, please contact me. I'd be happy to advise you about what you will need and how you should apply. The main hurdle is the security clearance, which needs up to three months advance notice. Otherwise, you can choose your call, the formalities are simple and the procedures are mostly computerized. It has only been in the last few years that foreigners have been allowed to operate here.

Visiting hams can, however, operate immediately upon arrival using the station license of a local amateur who is present at the time.

Thank you for your time and I hope to meet you on the air soon from Egypt.

Jim Sorenson
    W3BH
    SU9AM

50 years in Ham Radio this year........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.