Egg Beaters vs Yagi's

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC1KQY, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K7WDO

K7WDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny thing with the HEO sats was that in some ways, they needed positioning control less than the LEO birds. The higher your orbit, the slower you appear to move in the sky. Back with some of the P3 sats in a high elliptical orbit, you could point your antennas at the bird and not have to move them all afternoon when it was at apogee. And with a geostationary satellite like P4A/QO-100, it's like your DirecTV dish - set it once and never move it again. No rotors necessary.

As for the squalo vs eggbeaters question, I really don't have any experience with that type to give an accurate take on it, but it looks to be mostly a difference in pattern. The eggbeaters are more of a circular pattern while the squalo is a folded dipole and presents a more linear pattern. Focusing an antenna's beam is what tends to give it gain so with both being omnidirectional, it's probably going to be similar in results with the eggbeaters maybe handling polarity fade better.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The HEO birds certainly didn't require frequent positioning for extended periods of time, but without an elevation control, they were not very useful; in THAT regard, while elevation would be required, it would not have to be automatic; an "Armstrong" method :)p) might be acceptable, if not very convenient. But still, some type of elevation would be necessary for full use of the HEO satellites.

While both squalo and egg-beater (as well as "Lindenblad) antennas are basically horizontal antennas, the egg-beater has more upward radiation, which can be enhanced by the addition of a "ground plane" beneath it.

3. KC1KQY

KC1KQY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks so much for all the replies.....At this point I think that I will go with the full boat, an az/alt rotor and yagi's. I'm at a point in my life that I can afford to go with something nice and I don't want to come up short. Having the ability to track and work the sat's from inside on a cold winter day is about as good as it gets.
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Steven

K7WDO and N4UFO like this.
  4. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you will regret your choice for one minute. In addition to cold winter days, there are cold winter NIGHTS and if you really want to find a reason for your good choice, wait until someone is in a grid you desperately want to work and it's after dark your time. Been there done that. Not to mention overnight passes into Europe! (I used to have a full AZ-EL setup at last QTH.) As for me, when the full duplex FM radio I am buying arrives, I think I will try it in my enclosed porch with an Arrow on a camera tripod. If I still feel the need for having it in the hamshack, I may see about a pair of squalos with a uhf preamp I have in the closet. Otherwise, may fix it up to take roving. :D

See you on the birds! 73, Kevin N4UFO

WD9EWK likes this.
  5. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As already stated, my $15 tape measure antenna out-performs my $338 M2 Eggbeater on the FM voice satellites. SO ... even a modest Yagi or beam should give you better results

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both, VHF/UHF eggbeaters and VHF/UHF beams with coax switches.

When the sat is less than ~ 25 degrees elevation, the beams work wonderful when the sat approached 35 degrees or higher, I switch to the eggbeaters.

Satellite going down towards the horizon, switch back to the beams, works great.

KG4RRH likes this.