ad: elecraft

Egg Beaters vs Yagi's

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KC1KQY, Sep 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC1KQY

KC1KQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been working the sat's for a while now, both FM and SSB using an Arrow and a couple of FT 817's. Looking towards setting something up for the winter months so I can work indoors. I'm wondering about Egg Beaters vs Yagi's and the trade off of not having to aim the antenna. If I go with the Yagi's, I'm going to have a fair amount of cash in just the rotator that will handle two antennas. Can anyone give me insight as to the performance of the Egg Beaters? I worked a guy that had his Egg Beaters mounted in his attic and his reception seemed just fine although I think that I would mount mine outdoors. It seems that the cost of a pair of M2 EB's vs a pair M2 Yagi's is pretty close. Even if I have to add a preamp, it's got to be cheaper than a rotator. Anybody have thoughts on this?
    Thanks for the help.
    Steven

2. K9JKM

K9JKM Ham Member QRZ Page

UT7UX, KB1PVH, N4UFO and 1 other person like this.
  3. KB1PVH

KB1PVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dollar for dollar you are better off getting the yagis and an azimuth only rotor. The majority of satellite passes are relatively low and the eggbeaters aren't good for low elevation.

I always chuckle when I hear people say their eggbeaters work well for the current satellites. The problem is that they have no clue what they aren't hearing.

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

It all depends on the Eggbeater in question, and the yagi being discussed. Both vary greatly in performance, and have different characterstics. For Amateur SAT work, I'd recommend a yagi /rotator as a general rule..... BUT I can see the virtue of using an antenna with a wider beamwidth for faster moving birds. IF you are chasing a powerful signal from LEO (fast orbit) satellite, the eggbeater might be a good choice. For a weak-signal bird in a higher / slower orbit, or a geosynchronous orbit, the yagi would be my preference. It all depends on what you want to do.

5. K7WDO

K7WDO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll add my voice to the yagi chorus.

The one advantage of eggbeaters is that you don't have to aim them. But the gain on them is nowhere near as good as a yagi. Just compare the specs:

EB432 5.5 dBic (EggBeater)
    440-6SS 11dBi (6-el yagi)
    436CP16 13.3 dBic (8x8-el CP yagi)

M2's 70cm eggbeaters and their 8x8 CP yagi from the sat pack are nearly the same price, but there is a huge difference in gain figures between the antennas. Even their basic 6-element 70cm yagi that's 30% the price the eggbeater has about double the gain.

With satellites getting smaller, their power budget shrinks and the signals get weaker. A yagi will serve you much better. And as mentioned above, there are less expensive options for antenna aiming other than a computer-controller G5500 AZ/EL rotor.

VE4MM, VE3CGA and KB1PVH like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eggbeaters/Turnstiles were more suitable for older satellites that were higher orbit with higher gain.

In the last 20 years LEO cubesats have become the norm with low gain and short visible times. Yagi antennas with at least Azimuth tracking provide reliable contact.

We have had this same Eggbeater question topics three times in the last month.

VE4MM, K6CLS, VE3TSV and 1 other person like this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K6CLS, K4BAD and VE3TSV like this.
  8. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Using yagis here
    For wx sats I have a qhr antenna that works well but those noaa sats put out a lot more power
    Yagis are a lot easier to build

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The fixed az-only Yagi (or other directional antenna) is OK for the (current) LEO satellites, but when (or if?) HEO satellites, (such as Phase 4 was SUPPOSED to be:() WILL require elevation positioning as well. SO elevation control can be added later, (when actually NEEDED) but should still be a consideration for long-term operation..

10. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

If I may intrude on the OPs thread... what about Eggbeaters VS a Squalo? Yes, still omni and easily bested by an AZ only yagi, but I HAVE a squalo up now and wondering how it compares with an eggbeater. (Cost wise a squalo would is sure cheaper!) I can easily bump up power on TX, but wondering how it will hear.