EFHW antenna update

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G8GYW, Dec 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G8GYW

    G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

    Hi Jos and thanks for your helpful comments.

    The garden end of the antenna is supported by a pole fixed to a pergola. I can't make it any higher without using guy ropes, which would upset my wife as she's very precious about her garden. I would also need to apply for planning permission unless I make it a temporary structure, which I don't want to do. Raising the other end is much easier.

    I'm starting to learn about HF propagation and the best times of day. I've heard plenty of DX on both 80m and 40m, but the higher frequencies are very quiet at the moment.

    Mike
     
  2. WB5YUZ

    WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

    It's because of where we are in the solar cycle right now. Mostly those bands are closed. Sometimes they are open, but people don't check because "everybody knows 10m is never open at this point in the solar cycle."

    That's why right now I spend 75 percent of my time on 40m, and most of the other 25 percent on 20m. If I had a good 80m antenna, I'd probably be down there a lot, too.
     
  3. G8GYW

    G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

    That's what I'm finding. I get most of my contacts on 80m and 40m, with a few on 20m.
     
  4. WB5THT

    WB5THT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    If you can come over to the dark side (digital), 30 meters has a bunch of FT8 activity. It's an interesting band with different characteristics compared to 40 and 20 meters.
     
  5. G8GYW

    G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

    I don't disagree with you on the VSWR at non resonant frequencies Rege. To accommodate the loading coil and wire extension for 80m I had to run part of the antenna close to the house wall which didn't do it any favours.

    This weekend I have attached a pole to the house wall and lifted the wire above the roof. Also turned the wire round so the feed point is at the far end away from the house.

    I haven't laid down the feeder yet but the VSWR measured at the unun is looking better:

    EFHW reversed and raised.png
     
    KX4O likes this.

Share This Page

ad: ProAudio-1