EFHW antenna update

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by G8GYW, Dec 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0VSS

2E0VSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Please dont be rude to fellow hams.
    Thats personal, Stop it immediately.

M

2. 2E0VSS

If that is not retracted I will push to have your account barred on here..
    M

3. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

If that is addressed to me, what is there to retract? Rege has been insulting me and lots of other posters, and has been posting technically incorrect information about how antennas work on here for several years.

4. 2E0VSS

Then both of you stop it!
    Simple
    We don’t want to listen to diatribe and personal differences...
    Let’s please be civil

m

SM0GLD likes this.
  5. 2E0VSS

Thank you

Happy new year to all these wonderfully eccentric (me included) antenna nuts on this forum

M

6. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Right now you hijacked the OP's thread and you're making more "noise" than Rege and Mike.

We have moderators here, let's them to do their job properly when needed.

7. G8GYW

G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look, this antenna works within the limitations of the space I have. Here's the proof:

contact map.jpg

All I'm asking for is advice on how to improve it. I already have plans to raise the height, I'm just keen to know if feeding it from the remote end is worth the effort or not.

Thanks,

Mike

8. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

John, here is a wide sweep of the Swr relative to 2450 Ohms of a 144.6 ft horizontal wire 35ft agl over average dirt, fed 9.4 ft in from the wire end (the prototype EFHW wire antenna):

J1.png

Notice that the step from 40m to 20m is a bit wide, but the steps from 20m to 15m and up are just right. Adding a capacitor at the center of the long wire makes it possible to almost perfectly center the Swr minimums on each band...

9. G8GYW

G8GYW Ham Member QRZ Page

And adding a loading coil brings in 80m ...

EFHW 26 Dec 2019.png

10. K5EMG

K5EMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My antenna is a 63 feet wire attached to a 6 feet post over my roof and the other side to a 12 feet post. Using a 9:1 balun at feed point done by me. My record is Japan from South Texas 10930 km distance on FT8 at 20m band.