Economical paddle...

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KB4MNG, Sep 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

seen some questions about economical paddle options. This is a good video. A little long and wandering, may have to fast forward a bit but does cover these cheaper paddles. You can get this particular red finger paddles on ebay shipped for around $10.

kb4mng

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That paddle looks like a value. I wonder what that straight key is like to send with.

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

кирпич

KC7JNJ likes this.
  5. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It has a spring straight out of a T-55 tank, very stiff, but quite usable. I jury-rigged a connection and knocked out an error-free POTA chase QSO an hour after I opened the package. A Begali could not have been more fun to use.

It's about the size of my Palm Mini paddle. The design is very good. The workmanship is very Soviet. It is a two-handed operation, one hand placed on top to stabilize the key. It's a blast to use, but you wouldn't want to ragchew with it.

At first it would send only Cyrillic, but I beat it into submission. Kidding.

Al

KC7JNJ likes this.
  6. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Спасибо за информацию... Bury it in the mud never clean it and it keeps on working LOL. I might have to try one. I think I would also like to try cwmorses’s straight key with the Navy knob, they have the black one on sale right now for $20. A few years ago I picked up a Nye Viking Speed-x 322x001 with Navy knob in brass from an old ham’s estate, no one else wanted it. But it is the smoothest, best feeling key I have ever used. So it has spoiled me a bit. But maybe once conditions come up some and I can get out with radio it might be nice to try something from cwmorse or the Russian AK47 key you have.

7. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one of these and it works very well. Surprisingly well.

It uses ball bearings, but the manufacturer couldn't use the lever as a conductor, so there is a tiny wire from the moving contact hidden in a groove. This solves any problem of resistance across the bearings, even if it was unintentional.

There is enough resilience in the design that I didn't get contact bounce, either. The brass contacts work fine.

I understand the aluminum base model is now attached with two screws, which keeps the key from rotating on a single screw into a "skewed" orientation. (The design change was my suggestion. ;) )

KC7JNJ likes this.
  8. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

9. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Make up something like this?