EchoLink

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4EEP, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4EEP

K4EEP Ham Member QRZ Page

how do you connect to another person by phone? android to android. I keep getting a message saying connection failed, no route available. I'm new to echolink. Thanks for advice

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That isn't the intent of the program, which is to allow connections to repeaters. I'm not aware of any limitation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the author built it that way on purpose. He stated years ago that if he though most people were using it computer to computer, he'd shut it all down.

Instead of connecting directly, find a repeater or conference you can both connect to.

K2WH likes this.
  3. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

When you say "another person," I assume you mean "another ham running the Android Echolink app." If so, there is absolutely nothing wrong with connecting to another amateur "Android-to-Android" via Echolink. See the troubleshooting page here for some helpful tips.

WB7OXP likes this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time, I set up an account, and for a while, it was somewhat interesting connecting to distant repeaters.

One day, I accidentally clicked on the link for some guy in Japan. It wasn't a repeater, and it wasn't even a local RF link in his house. He was sitting in front of his computer, and I was sitting in front of my computer. Before I realized what I had done, he replied.

I think we exchanged 59 signal reports, wished each other the best, and then disconnected. We did both ID, just as if we were on the air.

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a job for Skype.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. N1FMV

N1FMV Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... I was always under the impression that one party would have to be running in "Sysop" mode; but I suppose I could be totally wrong about that.
    Frank

7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. You are totally wrong. I don't know where you got that idea. Probably from YouTube or some EchoLid.
    Two people in user mode on smart phones or PCs can connect to eachother with absolutely no problem unless one or both have router/firewall/port forwarding misconfigured.

WW2E likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep...did that a few times when I was on travel for work and without any ham gear. It was actually sorta OK but not something I ever came back to after I retired.

9. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

The default network mode for the Android and iOS editions of EchoLink is called "Relay". Relay is the most reliable way to go (especially on a cellular network), but it has one limitation: Two nodes using Relay cannot connect to each other. This is because Relay mode only allows outbound connections, not inbound.

However, it was never the main intent of EchoLink to provide computer-to-computer connections anyway. Its main purpose is to interconnect repeaters and simplex stations with each other, and with (validated) computer users.

WE4B likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

A few years ago, I installed Echolink on my computer and I played with it for a while, connecting to various repeaters. One day, I accidentally clicked on the link of some other guy in Japan sitting in front of his computer. Before I could un-click it, he called me, so I had to have a short QSO. I think I gave my name and QTH, and he did the same. Then, we said 73, and signed off. We both gave our calls at both the beginning and end of the "transmission."

He didn't seem to have much English language ability, so I wasn't able to explain what had happened, although I've often wondered if it seemed as surreal to him as it did to me. Chances are, he's currently on some JA website telling about the time that the crazy W called him on Echolink to have a computer-to-computer QSO.