ad: k1jek

Echolink with Verizon Mobile Hot Spot

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KE8MEM, Dec 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE8MEM

KE8MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Having issues connecting EchoHam on my computer because i cannot figure out how to get the hotspot to allow the port forwarding. Echolink works fine on my iPhone but would like to get it to work in my office/shack on the computer. help apprecaited and thank you in advance.
    73 KE8MEM

2. WB3HUS

WB3HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I'm having the same problem as you have not found a way to correct the problem.The UDP ports are failing to recieve any thing. I'm using a windows 7 laptop. it did
    work before , everything was working fine then it all of the sudden went bad I put it on my phone and it works fine for now i don't know what the problem is.Went into
    the verizon settings tried to set up the ports preformed the firewall test it said the TCP is configered right for echolink but the UDP ports failed the firewall test.that is where I'm at
    for now .
    wb3hus

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  3. KE8MEM

Yeah i can set up the TCP just fine following the firewall troubleshooting info from echolink but i run into the ucp issue as well. i wish that we had standard broadband internet but i work online and the one location where i have property that i frequent literally has zero ISPs so i am limited to the mobile hotspot as i dont even get cell service there.

4. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mobile internet from a hot spot is not the same as a typical home broadband connection. You the have the NAT on your hotpsot, but the service provider is probably also running NAT at a higher level than that over which you have control.

For mobile echolink or or IRLP, the most reliable option is a VPN so that you can bypass all that NATing and firewalling.

K1RFD likes this.
  5. KE8MEM

Is there a good free VPN that you would recommend to help solve this issue? ive never run any kind of VPN before.

6. W4EAE

StrongVPN offers what they call their 'legacy' VPN service which has all ports completely open.

What I do is run a VPN server on my home network that I access away from home. This is a little more complicated, but it is free. I forward the ports from the router to the VPN server, then forward the ports from the VPN server to the VPN client. I am using OpenVPN, and the server is running on a Raspberry Pi. If you are Linux adept, this is a good option. If not, the paid option is much less of a hassle.

I also have a VPN service that I run almost full-time anyway. With the FCC ending net neutrality, I am not too keen on my service provider monetizing my internet traffic. The only thing that the ISP sees is encrypted traffic. It is also handy when out and about connected to public WiFi. I can feel comfortable logging into my bank and such even on unsecured networks.

KE8MEM likes this.
  7. N4LGH

N4LGH Ham Member QRZ Page

I went through this recently and found that if you have purchased a static IP from your provider it works dandy with your hotspot. That being said, most mobile providers are cost prohibitive for static IP's. I found one that offers decent bandwidth price and a static for an extra $10 / month. Works a charm and it's quick.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would rather pay $10 for a VPN than $10 for a static IP, That is not really needed.

The option of using a Public Proxy also works for Free in Echolink.

upload_2020-3-20_5-48-9.png

K1RFD likes this.
  9. W4EAE

I completely forgot about the that option in the Echolink software. I have not run the actual Windows software for Echolink in a long time.

P.S. - I need to get a cleverly altered AMD logo for my avatar. :)

KA9JLM likes this.