ad: k1jek

Echolink Saves a life

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8YCZ, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N7OKL

N7OKL Ham Member QRZ Page

A method that I have used many times for emergency calls in the US.....

I call the operator and advise that I have an emergency message for police in town X in state Y....

They will find a number, conect, and usualy listen for a short time to verify and no charge on your bill.....

Have also gone through the local 911 center for calls within the state....get transfered to the State Patrol, then to the local 911 center that I need to talk to..again, no charge

Mel
    N7OKL

2. WB4JB

WB4JB Guest

Yea I understand. Use to be in 7 land and kl7 land. but just had to do that to see the responses. Seems like you get blasted here no matter what you say. Watch someone turn this into a cw platform. BTW I think CW should not be tested. There I said it. I deserve to say it as I have been around and licensed for 45 years since I was 12. AND yes I have always been a CW guy but who cares?? I have been on Echolink as well. I just dont care for it. Good old RF for me but again, who cares? My cousin loves echolink and he has been licensed much longer than me. Each to his own. I cannot believe it came down to this bickering about echolink not being Ham Radio instead "BRAVO" you saved a life!

3. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Hams are so terribly desperate for attention and some credit. But, sorry: this was a telephone call. Time to get used to that.

If it's radio, then it's radio. If it is over the telephone, then it's a phone call. Why act like it's something different?

4. WB5YIW

WB5YIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems that there is a group of people here that would debate the color of .......tree bark. Wouldn't matter what you posted, someone would take issue with it.

To the person who sent the original "help"...I'm very glad you got the help you needed.

To those who helped him...I say THREE CHEERS!!!

I don't care if you used the internet, radio or smoke signals...you did good!

73's

Bryan

5. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

that is good news  [​IMG]

6. WB5YIW

Hey...that's grAy in the common American spelling.

Sorry...just kidding. Your post made me laugh, thought I'd join in the spirit.

73's

Bryan

7. WB5YIW

I'm going to mention the dreaded cell phone here, but most (I said most, not all, so don't get started) plans have unlimited nationwide long distance included. All it uses is a few minutes of your plan. If it saves someone's life, the thing has finally earned its' keep.

8. K4RGR

K4RGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I.m 58 and have been a ham for 45 years.  If you have seniority, I'll respect your comment.  As for you others - GET A GRIP.  

A life was saved through the miracle of our technology.  No it wasn't 15 Meter CW!!!  WHO CARES.  Let's recognize the accomplishment and quit arguing about the mode.

[​IMG]

9. W9CSB

W9CSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a quick answer to the question about calling for help internationally by phone.

Using your home telephone (since most cell phones don't allow int'l calling), dial 011 - that's the prefix for international dialing from the USA. Then the country code, for calls to the UK, it's 44. Then dial the city code and number you want. Country codes can be found in the front of most phone books.

International emergency calls are probably not the easiest calls to make because you have to have a specific number to call. Each country has their own emergency number (911 in USA, 999 in UK), but they can't be dialed from outside their respective countries. The internet is a wonderful tool for finding local emergency numbers should the need arise, assuming you know where the other person is located exactly.

73 de KC9HZJ

10. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

Way to go gang on the wonderful job you did in saving a life using EchoLink. This proves that EchoLink is more than just for rag chewing, it's also a viable mode of communication for different situations. I hope that the Amateur Radio Community will finally embrace EchoLink as another mode of Amateur Communications. [​IMG]

11. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, who are you calling a grumpy old geaser?

I personaly think that it is great that there was a emergency that was helped by Echolink.

I don't know why anyone has a problem with a system that connects you to ham repeators all over the world. It doesn't replace HF, and isn't a threat to anything. What is the problem? I have used it to setup HF communications with far away hams. It is really a great addition to the hobby.

I have been a ham for over 30 years, and I love CW, but I also like Echolink, and using packet on 2 meters to receive DX cluster info. It's all part of the game.

So remember, not all geasers are what you think they are.

Now to bum you out, I am for keeping 5 wpm for HF licensing. Not going to happen, but I am still for it. If it wasn't part of the license when I got it, I would not have been introduced to a mode that works in tough conditions, when the other modes don't. And it is just plain fun.

All I can say, is I don't know why any Ham that hates Echolink so much, is lowering themselves to even post on this internet forum. Do it on the radio, if that is all you think is important.

Hey people like to gripe, it is a normal illness.

73 - Bob

12. KB7DA

KB7DA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is the sky blue?
    I thought the sky was invisable, the sun makes it blue and sometimes it can be red white gray pink green yellow black with lil specs and sometimes it can flash. And sometimes the sky is mean,

Oh let me think a moment here. Dont all this boil down to "People save people"

Thats the bottom line.

13. KI6ADA

KI6ADA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great news, Echolink should be introduced to the younger generation. My interests include IRLP. I am only limited to the two meter repeater in my county. The repeater is being used for emergency communications during bad weather. If I had access to 440(.70cm), I would enjoy IRLP. Hats off to the operators for paying attention to the message board. If it was a internet chat room, the person could not receive any further assistance. Amateur Radio will continue to accept the computer and IRLP as a regular tool in communications, kind of like PSK and Packet,digital SSTV and RTTY. 73 to all and Have a Happy New Year.

14. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go....

Another drawn out debate on Echolink.

How many folks does it take to dial 911? Less then six?

If you are unable to get out of bed, how many hamsters would it take to load your washing machine? Now that's what I need to know.

The guy had an emergency, and some hams helped out.

And yet somehow they have to justify the act, because someone thinks Echolink sucks?

Thank God for this forum. Otherwise, I might not get my daily humor.

:>) W6NJ

15. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

ai4cb-sir if it had Been you that needed help it would not matterd if it had Been 10 people that did it , you would have Been glad they could do it 73 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.