ad: UR5CDX-1

Echolink Saves a life

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8YCZ, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

It's too bad that QRZ has you beat here.... [​IMG]

2. EI2IV

EI2IV Guest

KD5PSH said "Well, I guess they don't have 911 there."

They do! (well 999)

But the "Radio" needs to tie up the phone line to work these days Ha Ha!

Have they started giving out awards on this echolink nonsense yet? DXCC, worked 100 IP addresss etc
    what report do you have to exchange??? [​IMG]

The FCC must be wetting themselves listening to all the complaining about BPL from all the "Radio Hams" they will just reply "Sure it will be great for Echolink!!!"

James EI2IV

3. K5REP

K5REP Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that I am an old HAM (age included) that got EXTRA when you had to perform at 20 WPM to get it. I agree that it is just another form of communication, however it does hav a nice extra usage for me. I travel a lot with muy job, and I just can't seem to hit the local Memphis repeater on UHF HT when I am in Georgia or North Carolina. However, I can it it in the motel from my laptop using Echo-Link. It's kind of nice to be able to rag chew with the local fellas back home. Not Amatuer Radio? Tell that to a person monitoring the repeater on a scanner.

4. KA9EKG

KA9EKG Ham Member QRZ Page

O.K. We all are beating a dead horse.I have tryed to post a new topic but QRZ will not let me in.HERE IS MY POST.....There is a gentelman out there in WV that is fighting for his life.His call is KC8VKZ Randy McLoy yes he is the only survivor of the coal mine explosion.Please send your q.s.l. cards with your thoughts and prayers to Randall McLoy P.O.Box 223 Philippi,WV,26435.Lets show him what amateure radio is all abought,again sorry for posting here but could not get my post in.73s God Bless DE KA9EKG

5. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

ka9ekg-sir I will do this its a good thing to do it will Be in the mail monday morn, thanks for posting this 73 Bill

6. N5QJE

N5QJE Ham Member QRZ Page

My hats off to the ones that helped that fellow amatuer, no matter what type system(s) used.

Amazing how the topics changed from the original first couple of msgs to the last.

Echolink, IRLP, packet, etc have always been down talked by those who either dont understand it or want to stay in their analogue shell.

Harris - N5QJE
    Echolink 174660 & repeater 147.16
    Rosharon/Houston,Tx. [​IMG]

7. MI3NIE

MI3NIE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done  to all concerned a good life saving effort worldwide. Just shows what can be done .
    Amateur radio covers a big spectrum not everyone is wearing blinkers nowadays. Move with the times or be left behind. As a limited power operator (10watts) echolink provides another means of contact worldwide not worrying about some high power station using 1.5kw splattering all over the bands hf/vhf/uhf etc without this 1.5kw you are nothing.Dx on low power then you can blow about your contacts harder work than just pushing a button on a linear try it sometime get that feeling of true dx-ing. You may have earned the right for high power, so what wheres the satisfaction in that  dx contact beats me ? How many of you have your rig connected up to your PC RIGHT NOW [​IMG]
    enough said i think.

THIS IS 2006 YOU KNOW 

WELL DONE LADS BE PROUD 10/10

8. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Comparing Echolink to amateur radio is like comparing a door with a chair. Or a swimming pool to a roof. Or a car to a rock. Or a lamp shade to a postage stamp. I could continue, but you get the picture. It's not the same thing... But there is, after all, such a thing as digital radio.

See:
    http://www.drm.org
    http://www.alinco.com/Products/DR-635/
    http://www.alinco.com/Products/DJ-596_593/
    http://www.apcointl.org/frequency/project25/information.html

-KR4WM

9. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

What can be done to get Amateurs to except Echolink?

Nothing ! its up to the Amateur * person* and how they view Echolink VOIP.

Some will never except it ,thats OK their options.
    Amateurs will continue to enjoy their hobby .

Perhaps others should to.
    Going off the deep end never gets any problems solved,
    --kr4wm,

I agree with you on this Webster ! [​IMG]

10. M3KCK

M3KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a thought....

We should really concentrate on the Topic at hand and not the mode that was used so save an Amateurs Life.

Perhaps some posters to this thread could take the example from other Amateurs who have posted in this Thread http://www.qrz.com/ib-bin....41;st=0

G4WDI is still recovering from a Life threatening condition so how about we show him some Support also?[​IMG]
    My thoughts are with both of these Amateurs and their Families at this time and wish them both a speedy recovery,
    Regards,
    Andrew M3KCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.