Echolink question

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by K3WDT, May 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
  1. K3WDT

K3WDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read up on some on Echolink and am confused about the feasibility of the below concept.

I have an IC208H. Can I connect it to my PC via a rigblaster or other sound card, and then use Echolink software on another computer or my phone when I am out of town to key up the radio on repeaters local to home (that are not on echolink)?

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think there is a way to do that.
    When you use EchoLink to drive a radio via an interface you have to put EchoLink in sysop mode.
    When you do that you lose some of the functions. You can't really remotely operate the radio with EchoLink.
    You need some other rig control software and remote desktop software to do that properly.

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes you can.

I have 2 ham friends here in Florida that do exactly that. I can open Echolink on my computer , connect to their -L link node and when I call them
    it goes out on a 2 meter FM simplex frequency where they can talk to me on their HT.

I used to have mine set up that way on a 70CM FM frequency so a friend could connect to me and we could talk. I used a FT-897D and a Signalink and PC etc.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you can do that. I would get permission from who owns the repeaters that you want to connect to. Some owners do not like it.

I have my EchoLink -R node connected using a RPi3. -R and -L work the same way. I can control any radio using a RPi3B.

Have Fun.