Echolink..ok..but

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7KOY, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

W5ATX..your right...lol
    I was working on an Adventurer and had Johnson on the brain when I wrote that.
    The "WRL" Globe is on the air on 40 meters AM Phone..Hope to get the Adventurer going soon on CW.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention..symptom of getting old I guess..among other things..: P

2. 9M6CT

9M6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have now been using Echolink for ten days and have found that most people using the "mode", agree that it is just like anything new. People are terribly resistant to change, for those old enough, do you remember how SSB was initially received.?

Once I had realized how important a tool this was for me to be able to talk with Amateur friends around the world, independent of propagation, qrm, qrn, qsb, lids, policemen, and boy as a DX pile up worker I get them, I sent an e-mail to 50 licensed amateurs I know in all Continents and was very surprised at the resistance to even trying the mode.

Ah well we win some we loose some, but for me this is just an additional amateur communication tool, like Pactor, rtty, sstv etc. So guys if you have not tried it don't knock it to hard.

Another interesting reason given by two friends was the request from the team providing the software, was their need for verification of their call sign.

I would suggest that this is a very well worth while step to ensure that indeed we keep this "mode" to properly Licensed amateurs.

I have now actually signed up with two call signs, my base in Malaysia as 9M6CT and when I am on my travels my lap top is registered with the call 9M6CTC, which is my club call sign, but I will call it the "China Touring Club"! [​IMG]

Thanks to all those who commented since my first posting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.