Echolink..ok..but

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7KOY, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD7KOY

KD7KOY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok..no flames please.
    First let me say that any mode of communications is good. No problem there.
    I tryed Echolink and after 10 minutes was kind of bored.
    My own "personal" impressions is that someone is "reinventing the wheel".
    With Echolink, it's from computer...to the air..to a computer...
    On ICQ chat (Voice) for example, it's..computer...(through various servers) to computer...
    (Simplified but basically true..)
    Echolink wants a callsign...
    ICQ wants an IP (Type netstat -a -r to see who is listening on what port..like..who cares..:p )
    With Echolink you use those little earphones and boom mics that always break or the dog eats them..
    On ICQ you use the same thing..
    Ok..being a ham..I want to know where's the fun we all crave for!!
    The TVI!..The RF burns!..the atmospherics that we all have come to love..the blown capacitors that takes out every fuse in the house!
    And WHERE THE HECK IS THE PLATE SWITCH ON THIS PROGRAM!
    And how do you call CQ on CW with this thing?
    BLASPHEMY!
    Seriously, not a bad prog. Easy to install. Goof proof as they come. Another way to communicate. But I could'nt help feeling like I was in a chat room.
    Just IMHO redundant, with the various chat progs out there that does the same thing; talks from one computer to another.
    PSK-31 or RTTY for example have some "challedge" to it. You are operating a rig..hanging an antenna etc..
    This is kind of..er..boring..click it..click a place you want to talk and..er..talk...
    Not that is bad per se..but not much of a challedge. Kind of like..er..ICQ.. [​IMG]
    Just my thoughts...

2. KD5SCG

KD5SCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oohh a dead horse to beat

3. 9M6CT

9M6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

I kind of agree with most of what kd7koy has said, BUT, being located in the middle of no where, after only two days of being on echo link, I am finding that I am able to chat with freinds I have known for many years without the need to worry about propagation. That does not mean I will quit HF, oh no, those who know me are well aware of my propensity of enjoying a good pile up. But it also means I can have a chat with a freind without lids tuning and trying for me to give them a "new one". I had seen earlier versions but the current release has really done a good job for Amateurs to communicate in this mode. For instance I also use MSN Messenger, but I am unable to use voice on that mode as the local Communication monopoly has blocked that facility here. So I am very gratful to have found this new means to be able to keep in touch with freinds around the world
    Best wishes and a Happy New Year to all
    http://phil.weaver.org/

4. M3TMC

M3TMC Banned QRZ Page

I tryed to register with them but got an email back asking me to send a copy of my license!! I didnt and never got to use it.

Like your website Phil..............You are a lucky man!

5. KC9CNN

KC9CNN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, great website. 73.

6. 9M6CT

9M6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Further to my ealier posting a friend of mine has told me trhat he would like to get onto echolink but he has a MAC and the original program is not written with MAC in mind. Does any one know some one who has been able to use echolink with a MAC ? if so how was it done. [​IMG]

7. N3JPL

N3JPL Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
            Topic is Echolink... I personally use it , and I like it.The way that I look at it, what is a ham?? A ham is someone that experiments!!!! Many hams still believe that if your equipment doesn't glow and the lights dim when you key the mic , that you are not a REAL ham. Look at the equipment now days, computer controled
    low powered , no tubes , compact rigs.... does this mean that they are not hams??? Ham radio operators have to change and progess , just as they have to in life. Echolink is just another way of progressing. Whether I am on CW, Voice, VHF , HF , PSK , Echolink, its all HAM.
    Anyway you spell it. Its all ham, and its all good.

Brad .... N3JPL

8. N7WSB

N7WSB Ham Member QRZ Page

echolink does have one advantage icq doesn't - you can connect to the net via remote station - like with your handheld or your mobile.

9. AC7UX

AC7UX Ham Member QRZ Page

Long live the cult of the dead horse.

10. W5ATX

W5ATX Guest

Echolink/ILink/IRLP are tools.  They aren't 100% ham radio, no.  But if you have another ham you want to talk to far away, and he/she is near a repeater with a node, you can use it as a tool to communicate.  One repeater I'm involved with has Echolink and one of our regulars uses it to talk to his brother who is on another repeater out west somewhere.  It works.  It's a tool.  That's all.

Good luck and stop beating the horse already.

Oh, KOY, what exactly is a Johnson Globe Scout? I've had a couple Globe Scouts, but none were made by Johnson. What am I missing?! (Ok, I'm yanking your chain . . . )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.