Echolink, isn't it great?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it, are two words you have in reverse.. lol

2. N1FM

N1FM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I might have used it ten or fifteen years ago. Is it still a program people use?

I would think Skype or something similar would work as well, unless you absolutely have to go through a repeater, say, for someone who has no computer or wifi access.

3. KW0FRE

KW0FRE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is said there is no such thing as a stupid question.

4. KC2YQF

KC2YQF Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a relay option in the software specifically for this, which can work in many cases. Not a very good ISP to block traffic like this, typically this is as due to a firewall or CGNAT that isn't configured for it or was poorly implemented.

To respond in general, Echolink works pretty well for what it is, and it is largely convenient. As some of our club members move away, go on vacation, or are just outside the coverage of our repeaters, they can participate in or listen to our nets and traffic with a piece of software on their PC or smartphone, at the push of a button. We have club members that still insist on having a flip phone or a terrible smartphone from Tracfone, and, well, then yeah this isn't for you.

Yes, if you're having a call with someone using the phone function in your smartphone is probably easier. If you're the type of person who is going to carry the repeater book and a HT everywhere and you want to do that to communicate with people, then Echolink maybe isn't for you either.

But it does serve a niche and it absolutely is still frequently used.

N2SUB likes this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One other thing Echolink is good for.....I've got a roadster convertible that has no place to mount an antenna, much less a radio. I paired my phone with the car, fired up the Android app and called the local repeater. Hands-free ham radio in a car not equipped with a rig. Honestly, I didn't think it would work, but it did. :)

6. G3ZHI

G3ZHI Ham Member QRZ Page

you could also try peanut voip (very good audio) that also has radio connected gateways
    into various digital networks
    internet radio linking project (irlp) is all rf connected
    echoink has over 5,000 connections irlp about 4,000
    you need to be a licensed ham to use these systems
    voip has now been around some 25 years