Echolink, isn't it great?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Dec 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I recall, and it's been a while, when you install the program it runs a wizard that allows you to test the SEND and RECEIVE audio to/from your sound card, and there is a loopback (echo) that allows you to hear what you sound like. Despite that, there will always be a few that can't seem to get it right, but have you listened to some of the audio on the HF bands? I sure wish those features were built into HF rigs. :)

2. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the long answer and i feel the same and i´m not retired (48). I don´t want to speak against DMR, but for me it was just like you said, klick and done.
    Also C4FM Fusion is nealry like the same..just choose your repaeater and frequency and go..it´s also works much easier. Try to give someone a DMR device and say, hey let´s talk in DMR via simplex frequency. Have fun and take now some Popcorn...:) FM..sure it works, C4FM the same way.

However, it´s good to have some digital technology on-going in ham radio, but it should be easier to use.

N2SUB likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most users do not get that far.

Because many ISP's block the UDP ports that Echolink use.

4. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like someone worked in the shipbuilding business

5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never liked it and always thought its audio was subpar. The newer digital modes i.e. D-Star, TSF, DMR sound much better.

6. KC3OLR

KC3OLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I can access the Echolink computer chats (I haven't yet). But I can't access any Echolink repeaters with my FT-2980r. After keying the repeater with CTCSS tone at the input frequency, sending the DTMF tones (node no. or an * and node no.), has no effect. I didn't dwell on it, as I can access the Wide Area Network from W3WAN

7. KC3OLR

KC3OLR Ham Member QRZ Page

It hasn't been updated since 2007 (unless just the copyright info wasn't).

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many repeater owners have changed the codes required to access Echolink. Some also have connect in only.

A person should get permission/codes from the repeater owner or club president.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. ;)

10. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, problem solved then. You can't have crappy audio if you can't even connect. But you might be selling "most users" a little short.