ad: Amateur-1

Echolink, isn't it great?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:05 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the newer Remotely Operated Stations are a far better option for folks who can't have a station due to location problems.

W4RAV likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They might be, or they might not be. Depend on what the ham in this situation wants to do and whether they have access to a remote station. If all they want to do is to have a ragchew or check into a few nets, Echolink, D-Star, and DMR are the simple and effective answer.

N1DQQ likes this.
  3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

If they have a internet, they have access. And many are free. (example)

I like remote stations more than VOIP types (like Echolink) since you get to control the radio.
    Not just pop into a system that's pre-set. Usually to one frequency.

remotehamscreen001.JPG

4. W4NNF

Bet that as it may, D-Star, DMR, and Echolink are viable options for someone who just wants to ragchew or check into a net. Frankly, with D-Star, I'm at least using my HT, and I find that a LOT more "like ham radio" than remote operation of someone else's rig. Now, remote operation of my own rig would be a different story--but that's just me. ;)

5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I got DXCC last weekend on Echolink...but no way am I paying for the award. Never even had the radio on...just the PC and my VOIP headset

N3AB likes this.
  6. W4NNF

Don't like it? Don't use it. Difficult, ain't it? :D

N8JLM likes this.
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

It is just that simple. I like Echolink...it's fun.

W4NNF likes this.
  8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Love Echolink - been using it for years. We have a nationwide net one day a week, after which we go to EchoLink to pick up the guys that
    couldnt make it on 20M, live in restricted areas and overseas hams when the band is not open.

I also use it to keep in touch with friends back in Nebraska and Iowa by connecting to a repeater where I used to live.

In my current club we have Echolink and club members that are snowbirds back up north or friends that have moved away
    can check into our weekly 2 Meter net.

So yeah, its great.

W4RAV likes this.
  9. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've enjoyed using EchoLink a lot for visiting repeaters all over the U.S. and even in other countries to see who's listening. Ops frequently comment that it's nice to hear someone new making use of their repeater.

This is in contrast to local contacts on just a handful of repeaters. EchoLink is ideal for those who like to explore, particularly when propagation is lacking on the HF bands.

10. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXCC on EchoLink? Doesn't DXCC require person to person OTA communication?