Echolink, isn't it great?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Dec 1, 2019 at 7:05 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dear YL and OMs,

what do you actually think about Echolink?
    I used it for the first time although I already have the license for decades.

To be honest, I'm thrilled how good and reliable it works (sometimes) in contrast to DMR. Unfortunately DMR was always a thorn in my side. There were a lot of disconnections and I also didn't like the adjustment orgy at all...the modulation is still such a thing.
    The use of DMR at our holiday in Croatia was a nightmare and i stopped to use it.

For me it was a real relief how easy Echolink works. I have several 70cm relais, which fortunately are still coupled to echolink. It's just fun to be able to reach my colleagues 800 miles away, at any time and completely without "fumbling" and in the usual good FM quality via our repeater.

What do you think about it ?

73 Andre / DL4QB

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

It works OK but there are too many users with terrible audio.

N3AB likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Echolink vs DMR? People selling DMR repeaters and hot spots like crazy. Ever hear of someone selling their Echolink? That says Echolink is better!!

N1VAU likes this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink is OK, Allstar is much better.

If you like Echolink, You will love Allstar audio quality.

Packet loss can be a problem with both.

KX4O likes this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used it once in a while a decade and a half ago. It was fun enough to simulate a rig with my computer while I was in some motel room when on travel to exotic places like Bath, Maine and Avondale, Louisiana. Never really tried it via a 2-meter link. Just ran it on my computer. While I enjoyed if some then, the thrill didn't last. Conversely, I use D-Star frequently. While it's somewhat the same thing, using an actual radio to talk on a Reflector seems to make a difference for me, to make it seem more like ham radio. :)

6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have to have a license to run internet radio?

N9LYA likes this.
  7. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Although your question is more a jab (as usual) than a real inquiry, it still deserves some clarification.

Much of Echolink uses actual radios over-the-air. It's not all computer2computer, like say, CQ100 or Hamsphere.

Although they're not required by law, Echolink still asks for a copy of your license to operate. You may easily be transmitting via "real" radios and not know it.

Meanwhile, you might want to give "internet radio" a better examination before repeating something clever you heard someone else say.

K3EY and W4NNF like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used it to keep in touch with a couple of hams that were temporarily without HF capabilities. It does work great...although, like a lot of other folks, I wonder if it's actually ham radio. HI!

K8AI likes this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as there is some RF in the path by one of the users, its ham radio. If all you did was connect to each other via cell phone apps, then it was not ham radio, it was skype.

W4NNF and WE4B like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You need a license (the developers require it, and Echolink is transmitted over the air in some of its legs even if you're just using a computer and Internet on your end) : http://www.echolink.org/validation/