echolink for Windows 10.

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KK4ASA, Jan 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI7PBG

KI7PBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to Bring up a old thread but so glad i seen this an VK1FGYL post i did some checking and Echolink has a serious flaw in uninstalling on windows 10 i did some checking after i search and found this thread. i'm avoiding it till a new one is out and using the android version, thanks for the original poster of the thread.

2. VK1FGYL

VK1FGYL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you very much for your reply. I found out that Windows 10 Professional in 64 BIT falls over and is unstable with Echolink. The 32 BIT version of WIN 10 works fine and is stable. I suggest using a dedicated computer for Echolink only.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. One running Win 7 works great, With all hardware.

4. KI7PBG

KI7PBG Ham Member QRZ Page

has he made a new version yet i would really like to get this up and running in my house, as i currently don't have a base in my house or antenna so this would be a nice thing to have.

5. F8BMB

F8BMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello

pay attention to the uninstallation of echolink under W8 or W10.
    you should not use the standard uninstall, otherwise you will lose access to the start menu and the taskbar.
    You must use regedit and remove all references to Echolink, first remove the launch icon from the desktop, and from the start menu.
    And finish by removing the Windows icons \ startmenu.
    Cordial 73s

6. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, there's some misinformation in this thread. EchoLink, and most other 32-bit Windows applications, are not written "for" any specific version of Windows. EchoLink runs well on all 32-bit and 64-bit editions of desktop Windows, including Windows 10. Due to the nature of the app, creating a 64-bit version of it would have particular advantage. If you're running into trouble, it's not due to the version of Windows you are running, but more likely the sound-card drivers.

Separately, however, there is a known incompatibility between modern Windows versions and the particular version of InstallShield that is packaged with EchoLink. InstallShield is a separate program that is used to install and un-install software. Until InstallShield is updated (or replaced), it's a good idea to un-install EchoLink manually, should it ever be required, as F8BMB correctly points out.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is normally when the hardware and drivers are not Microsoft blessed.

But there is normally a work around. :)

8. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Correction: ...would not have any particular advantage.