Echolink for Android when ???

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by DL1BD, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. DL1BD

DL1BD Guest

Anyone know something about some Beta release or Testing coming for Android ??? No information can be found on the net !

2. N0MIO

N0MIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm also curious, I have a motorola Droid running Bugless Beast v1.1 and I know that the Iphone and Ipad both have it, so why not android??

3. DL1BD

DL1BD Guest

The question is when its coming. Android is growing like Hell and will be market leader soon.

I thing it will take some more month till some release is coming out. But ok thats how it is. The good thing is it will come out for Android. I use also the Droid here in Germany. Awsome Phone. Why i used Nokia for years ?? Time of this is over

4. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

From the Echolink website:

Users have asked about the possibility of an EchoLink app for BlackBerry, Symbian, PalmOS, Android, and Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, these platforms are all very different from each other, so developing software for each would involve five separate development efforts, in addition to iPhone. Development has begun on an edition of EchoLink for Android (with no release timetable yet), but there are no projects underway right now to develop editions for other platforms.

The important thing to remember is that this is free amateur software so the availability of a version for a particular platform depends on a developer with the necessary skills having the desire to devote vast amounts of time on something for no personal reward. Perhaps someone would write an Echolink client in Java, then it would run on anything.

5. KJ4VPJ

KJ4VPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd consider assisting in the Java rewrite (I'm on a crackberry), but it seems this is a closed-source project. Am I wrong?

BTW: Have fun getting a Java app to run on Windows Mobile. Although Wifey had trouble getting Windows Moble to run on Windows Mobile. :)

6. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know. There is a Linux native version (can't remember what it is called, it wasn't anything obvious like "Echolink for Linux") and as with most Linux projects the source code was provided so you could compile it. It's possible the versions for other platforms are based on that. I seemed to remember that when I tried it I found the Windows version running under wine worked better.

7. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Coming Soon

I have a bare-bones Android edition up and running, and I hope to make it available for Beta testers sometime this summer. I appreciate the interest.

8. N6LTU

N6LTU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

GREAT!

That would be an app I would really be interested in!

N6LTU

9. KJ4FZA

KJ4FZA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent! Keep up the good work! Let us know if there is any way to donate to the cause. :D

10. K4KGB

K4KGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Will keep an eye on this thread since I'm running a Droid phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.