ad: NI4L-2

Echolink and the Kenwood TM-V71A

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KG5WLK, Dec 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG5WLK

KG5WLK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am new to Ham radio. Just got my Ticket last week. I have a Kenwood TM-V71A and already am verified through echolink. I have used it from my PC and smartphone. There is an echolink enabled repeater about 10 miles from my home. I can also hit the repeater within 30 miles or so when mobile (I use the V71A both mobile and as a base station). I'm not sure I understand the process of connecting to an echolink node say in Australia via my mobile through the local echolink repeater. Can anyone give me some insight to the process?

Thanks
    73 KG5WLK

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Normally you dial a DTMF command to connect to a node plus the node number and and another DTMF command to disconnect, but that depends on how their repeater and node are set up. You will have to get permission and instructions from the repeater owner.

3. KG5WLK

Thanks Tom!
    I will meet with the club that owns that repeater this week!

73 KG5WLK

4. KG5WLK

Update;
    I have resolved most of the issues I was having with Echolink save for one. I wanted to operate in Sysop mode but needed the PG-5H cables so I ordered them online a couple weeks ago. There were some delivery issues and last night I was finally delivered the wrong item even though the correct item number was on the packing slip. What I received was a PG-5F which is just the extended wires to relocate the control face of the radio. The supplier in Colorado is trying to get the right cables to me now. I wonder if this is a common problem since cannabis has been legalized in Colorado...

5. KG5WLK

Ok now I have a cable question. One of the cables for operating in sysop mode has an Rs-232 male connector. Unfortunately the Rs-232 on the computer is also a male end. Is there an adapter I can get?

Thanks
    KG5WLK
    Phil

6. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

The RS-232 cable you seek would normally be called a 'Null Modem', which means that various signals are intentionally wired 'crossed over'. For a typical de-9 ( de-9 is the correct designation of what is commonly called db-9 ), the wiring from most important to least important will be something like this: Pin 5 ( Ground ) to Pin 5 ( Ground ) for signal reference-not overall shield. Pin 3 on one end to Pin 2 on the other, and Pin 2 on one end to Pin 3 on the other end ( this crosses over the transmit of one end to the receive of the other end, and is needed in both directions ). Pin 6 on one end to Pin 4 on the other end, and Pin 4 on one end to Pin 6 on the other end ( This crosses over Data Terminal Ready and Data Set Ready, and is needed in both directions for a true RS-232 cable - though sometimes this is optional ). Pin 7 on one end to Pin 8 on the other end, and Pin 8 on one end to Pin 7 on the other end ( This crosses over Clear to send and Request to send, and is needed on a true RS-232 cable-though sometimes this is optional- depends on RTS/CTS handshaking setting of PC terminal software ). Pin 1 on one end to Pin 1 on the other ( This is the carrier detect signal which was used in the old days for modems- may not be needed for your application- yet should not harm anything ). Pin 5 is the protective ground ( which is often the cable shield- most agree that this should be connected at the computer end only, and left disconnected at the controlled equipment ). This 'Null Modem' is often built into a short plastic box, rather than a cable. The wiring effect is the same. If this does not work for your application, you would need a 'Gender Mender', which should bring most of the signals straight through ( 5-5, 2-2, 3-3, etc.). The PC should not be harmed even if you use the wrong cable. The wiring for RS-232 drivers is supposed to ensure that damage cannot occur from incorrect wiring ( as long as the voltages do not exceed 15 VDC + and - ). Many electronics stores have 26-28 Awg stranded wire and military-spec. sockets ( requires a special crimper or solder work ) plus de-9f shells. If you also purchase an extraction tool, you should be able to rewire your own de-9f cabling. Please keep the insulated part of the wire ends very short ( as in under 1/2" ) so that they may be properly stored inside of the 'shells' for a good strain relief. Consider Mouser, Digi-Key, or Frys Electronics as parts or cable sources- there are many others. 73

7. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Phil, the Kenwood cable set for the TM-V71 should have a DB-9 female (no pins) at one end. If it's a male DB-9, I suspect it's the wrong cable.

8. KB0MNM

Phil, Were it that Radio Shack was still open, I would suggest that you obtain yours from the same place that I once obtained mine. Since I have long since lost the little blister card that had the part number, I can assure you that you would do well to make your own adapter because: 1. In doing so you will obtain the part for the radio end which is a De-9F, not DB-9 Female ( though folks commonly mislabel it as such ). 2. In doing so, you will look at the wiring diagram for the male ( pins stick out of ) connector and the female one. You need to remember that TX ( Transmit ) on one end is RX ( Receive ) on the other end. At minimum, you will have a chance to connect 3 sockets ( usually also called 'pins') at each end: Pin 5 to Pin 5 ( Ground for TX and RX ), Pin 2 and Pin 3. If you build this as a 6 foot cable, when and/or if you find yourself working a few feet away from the radio you can consider thanking me for not giving you the 'easy out'. If you buy both a 'Gender mender' F-F and a 'Null-modem' F-F, you miss the satisfaction of making it work by reading the books. You also stand a good chance of not having enough cable. For a first-time solder job, I recommend two extra connectors of each gender ( De-9f and De-9M ). For a first-time crimp job, four extra pins ( 13 ) and four extra sockets ( 13 ) plus one extra connector of each gender ( De-9f and De-9M ). Keep the extra ( wrong-ended ) cable for other situations, such as into Terminal node controllers by Kantronics with De-9 ends. Trying to 'extend' that one you have makes it a bit easier to make mistakes. While you are at the parts store, ask about the availability of 'hexagonal nuts' with bolt ends to repair your De-9 port when the screws get cross-threaded at the De-9 hood. Get a good flashlight, magnifying glass, and be sure you 'pack your patience' when identifying the pin/socket numbers. Expect the job will take more than one hour.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  9. KB0MNM

In the above statement, PIN 5 is incorrectly described a second time. Overall shields should not be continued at both ends of most RS-232 cables. Pin 7 is the ground on a *DB-25 cable for TX and RX. Protective ground pins vary according to how well the manufacturer follows the RS-232 standards.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a 9 pin.

A null modem cable has Pin 2 and 3 swapped (T/R)

Pin 5, Signal Ground is straight thru.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018