echolink and skype

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF7EGB, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to communicate with people over the internet, just use Skype. it's easy, intuitive and is used widely by hams and non-hams alike.

2. KX9RT

KX9RT Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems a little short sighted to poo-poo the idea of the interaction between radio and VOIP. Use it where appropriate and beware of it's failure modes and the end goal. Proceed with caution in regards to truly what is allowed from an FCC perspective and understand the rules. It doesn't seem any different from repeater autopatching making a contact to a non-ham. POTS line, VOIP....no different, same rules likely apply.

To be constructive to the topic and add to comment already made, using a Virtual Audio Cable may help implement such a system on a windows PC. Instead of patching cables between two sound cards it can be done virtually. Test is for free, but there is a small fee to get ride of the annoying voice watermark. http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm I know this topic is old, but thought I'd share the VAC thing I learned from dabbling in software defined radio.

Scott

KE8ANE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.