echolink and skype

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF7EGB, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple as dirt setup would be two soundcards in a computer. EchoLink uses one, Skype uses the other.

Then cross-connect the two sound cards together. Voila! Skype + EchoLink.

Usability of this would be so-so. Inbound Skype callers would be right onto the echolink node. Outbound callers can not specify who they are calling, but it's workable...

If it's Linux, you can do some cli magic to tie the audio inputs together (No cables). That would be a little tricky, however.

2. ZL1SLO

ZL1SLO Ham Member QRZ Page

ECHOLINK / SKIPE

HAHAHA, GUYS WHO KNOWS EVERYTHING , ECHO LINK IS USING SKYPE ALREADY

WHAT IS NEW???? I CAN SEE OLDER HAMS DONT LIKE TO TALK ABOUT NEW TECNOLOGY LIKE

HERE IN NEW ZEALAND , BUT LIKE TO USED , LIKE LEPTOPS FOR ,,,,,,,CW,,,,,THAT IS NOT
    HAM RADIO,,,,
    PC IS AVERY WHERE
    FRANC,, ZL1SLO

3. N5XMV

N5XMV Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand using Skype in addition to Echolink, but not so sure about having them connected. Someone in an area of trouble might be able to get out on the internet via a satellite signal, but not cell or landline. Their information might be crucial to the survival of all in the area, and also might provide much needed info to Net Control, as well as rescue parties. Maybe it would be best for Net Control to be able to have Skype up as well, and maybe take a call on it. If not, others on the Net might take the call, and pass the info. The next thing, is knowing how to connect to those who could give info, or receive it.
    It was mentioned we are talking about the very thing that is not going to be available in a disaster, but we are making strides with it, and if we don't keep working with these ideas, we'll become stagnant. I really don't like to admit I like the new stuff, but I do at times...
    Many times we are able to have folks near a scene who still have services available who can pass info, or like Tony and others, on the other side of the World, taking Net Control while we get some rest, and doing the same for them. It's going to get better, but it will take a lot of us to make it right.
    Paul N5XMV

4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not much different than the auto-patch of days ago...

5. N5XMV

N5XMV Ham Member QRZ Page

But, how many run an autopatch today? If Skype and Echolink were to be operated that way, it would be great. You have your control op, and the op is the one in charge, and responsible. Without it, I can see the problems many have been concerned with. Lots of good points, and lots of bad points. We'll just have to keep working, and experimenting, and see what does work. I also remember seeing a post about Amateur Radio not being an emergency radio service. Perhaps in the country the original poster is from that is true, but here in the U.S., it is actually considered a service, and not a hobby. Therefore we are provided certain considerations and protections. Amateur Radio in the U.S. has always been used in a time of need to be able to communicate when other services were not available. It's getting to be less required than it once was, but there are still times when it is needed, requested, or implemented by various government entities as a backup plan. It's even been used with the Russian Space Station MIR, the U.S. Space Shuttles, and the ISS when they have had problems with their high tech/high priced comm gear. There will always be a place for it, and that is why we should continue to use it, experiment with it, and keep striving to make it better, while remembering it's roots, and keeping as much of it simple as we can while staying up front.

Paul N5XMV

6. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a great questio. And a excellent thought about the connection.
    I to did it several ways and tested it. And magic jack and it can be done.
    So many times I read and hear the negative things about ideas .
    And it is a shame to see the Hams who rather come up with the negative replys.
    We can experiment in the hobby and to do so is to develope a idea and run with it.
    The true spirit of the hobby is not to hold back the unknown . But to develope the why nots and how to's and take ouyr hobby/service toi the next level. (O make it grow with change and develop the technoligys of today.
    If we don't we still be plaing with Tubes and not IC's of tomorrow.

Yes it can be done!!!!!!!!!!!

The answers is there and the ones who share will be glad as others cry to ponder behind yesterday thoughts.

W1lwt
    Lee

)

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Once again, EchoLink is not 'public domain'. K1RFD says that the policy is that EchoLink cannot be connected to any other VoIP system that allows direct access from a computer.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be, but I have to admit, I see a legitimate reason why you would want to - an automated phone patch.
    I bet there are repeaters out there on EchoLink that have autopatches on them that would work. However, if people start doing this, I can see a lot of objections from overseas. Many countries would ban EchoLink if there were connections to any kind of telephone service - New Zealand and Australia come to mind immediately, and I suspect France would be close behind.

8. RC3C

RC3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In my opinion, it is a bad idea to use that cros-link.

9. K5VOR

K5VOR Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, He said they don't allow the interconnection of VoIP services that allow direct access via a desktop interfaces. WIRES does not do this therefore, it would be allowed.

10. KB3HTN

KB3HTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.