echolink and skype

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF7EGB, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1RFD

K1RFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Crosslinking

While there may indeed be legitimate reasons to cross-connect EchoLink with other VoIP systems such as Skype, we don't allow it, because the security is too hard to maintain. The policy is that EchoLink does not allow interconnection with any other VoIP system that allows direct access from a computer.

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

While the ham in me has stress over the concept..... if a repeater had skype connection then it could just as easily make skype phone calls. Monthly phone bill that was normally used for local phone service is the repeater had skype could be applied to minutes.

Then you could make phone calls to anywhere from your mobile. Still little advantage over cell phone most of the time.

BUt, I actually kind of like this.....

3. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Echolink & Skype

KF7EGB,

The use of VOX is required and Echolink in the SYSOP mode VOX is available. It's possible, i have interfaced a d-star transceiver with echolink successfully. Inspiration is the mother of invention and we hams have a very interactive imagination!

73 de N2OBS

4. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be very easy to set up another of K1RFD's programs, EchoStation, to act as the controller for a crossband repeater consisting of two mobile rigs. EchoStation provides full autopatch support, too, including reverse autopatch.

EchoStation is not free, there is a small charge for it. I have not personally used it as a repeater controller, but it works well as an announcement machine.

5. K4ABB

K4ABB Ham Member QRZ Page

okay so my ? is can you interconnect Echolink with the WIRES-II system?

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about just using a radio? This echolink, wires and now talking about Skype, is IMHO detrimental to amateur radio. We are feverishly connecting into the very medium's we say will fail in a disaster. Why is that?

K2WH

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K1RFD - the author of EchoLink - stated previously that it is not allowed. No other VoIP systems - and WIRES is one of those, too...

8. VE1PS

VE1PS Ham Member QRZ Page

VoIP Autopatch

I've been thinking about this lately and a quick Google brought me to this thread.

As there is a Linux Skype now, and if one were running EchoIRLP, it would make sense to me that to increase the features on a repeater one could have a VoIP based telephone patch.

My reasoning for this is that you would not need a dedicated phone line to have an Autopatch. In many regions, the use of Cell phones is now prohibited while operating a motor vehicle however Amateur Radio use is still permitted.

The convenience of using Skype or similar to complete a telephone call as we once did with a separate phone line would be very useful in my view.

If anyone sees anything like this please let me know.

K1RFD's Echostation was a step in this direction however has been around since 2002 with no revisions.

Peter

9. VE1PS

VE1PS Ham Member QRZ Page

Further to my comments...

I would not be suggesting that we allow Echolink or IRLP to have access to Skype.

What I would like to see is a program that could run on one of these nodes simultaneously that would accept a certain prefix to trigger it to make calls via Skype. To operate this function, the DTMF would have to come locally, via RF to the node.

I strongly concur that Echolink, IRLP, WIRES, etc., should not be in any way be able to connect to Skype.

Peter

10. KE7VLC

KE7VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I do believe that this would be called Third Party traffic and would fall under those rules which says that a control operator has to be in charge of the communications. So a Thirdy party person calling in, someone would have to be able to sever that connection in a moments notice, same way of me allowing someone to use my HT during a race to pass third party traffic, I have to be able to sever the connection immediately just in case they say something that they shouldn't or something that might be offensive. So personally saying that this would be a great way of passing along Third Party traffic I would say no......the best way would be for the non-ham to be sitting in front of a computer with a control operator, or handing them the mic of a mobile radio or HT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.