echolink and skype

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KF7EGB, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KF7EGB

KF7EGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyway to cross connect between echolink and skype. I would think if you get into the software it should not be that hard.

2. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you hack the softwares, then yes.

But there SHOULDN'T be a connection between the two.

Skype is for chatting and VOIP phone calls.

Echolink is for Ham Radio operators.

The two should never be connected.

3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would you even want to?

4. KF7EGB

KF7EGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would I want to?

Why would I want to?

That way I could call a cell phone or land line with my ham radio. As long as the person on the other end has a ham ticket it should be legal, not to mention convient at times.

Also it could be an extention of ham communications.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. K7ADB

K7ADB Ham Member QRZ Page

If making a telephone call through ham radio is all you want, you don't need echolink and skype. Ham radio autopatches have been doing that for decades. There used to be lots of them out there but I don't hear them all that often any more now that everyone has a cell phone.

6. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

An extension of Ham communications??

If the person on the other end has a Ham ticket, you don't need Skype. Echolink to his / her repeater and talk to them that way.

If you want to make a phone call, use Skype.

If you want to talk to another Ham, use Echolink.

Asking how to interlink them is redundant.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Two Words: Cell Phone

8. AF4ZO

AF4ZO Guest

Skype-EchoLink Cross Connect

There may be good reasons to interconnect Skype and EchoLink. One might be that a net in progress on EchoLink might want to have input from a non-amateur on a technical subject that would be of interest to all. Another might be that in an emergency, if EchoLink were in use with a repeater which was in contact with mobiles in a disaster, a non-ham member of a served agency might want to ask some direct questions about conditions in the field.

The question was, "How can it be done?" rather than "Why would you want to do it?"

Les
    AF4ZO

9. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

If a non-amateur wishes or needs to join the conversation then you should not be using the amateur bands at all, never mind Echolink.

Amateur radio is not an emergency service. It's fine for hams to volunteer their skills to help during an emergency, but planned preparations for emergency communications that might involve the participation of non-hams should not be using our frequencies.

10. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

And the one thing that has not yet been brought up is third party communications. EchoLink isn't just for amateur radio operators in the United States, it is world wide and there are specific rules that cover which countries allow unlicensed people to use amateur radio frequencies.

IMHO, putting unlicensed people on the amateur radio spectrum is just a bad idea all around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.